Author Topic: Boutet style pistol taking shape  (Read 4917 times)

eddillon

Boutet style pistol taking shape
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:50:35 AM »
My Boutet style build around an antique French monkey-tail lock is shaping up.  About a month or so still to go.  Lock molding started.  Rear getting close. Bottom and front to go.  Forearm started.

Offline alyce-james

Re: Boutet style pistol taking shape
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:21:58 AM »
aka Sir ; I like the way this project is coming togeather, I really do. Thanks for sharing. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:27:14 AM »
I tell ya, that's the most fetching stock shape i've become aware of since getting serious about the old guns.  Hope that I might utilize some of my stump wood for such.

But that there ain't no _black_ walnut is it? Claro i presume?  A nice piece of it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:28:21 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

eddillon

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:14:53 AM »
Actually cut from a very nice chunk of Circassian walnut.  I used to import it many years ago. 

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
NICE ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24:58 AM »
eddillon:  can you post an image of the original you are using for inspiration?  There are a few architectural items I'd like to comment on before you go any further, but I want to be better informed first.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

eddillon

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
None in particular D. Taylor, in the style of. I,ll post the two that influenced the most when I return from Safari Club convention on Monday.
Cheers,
Ed

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »

In response to your request, D. Taylor.  Fire away!

eddillon:  can you post an image of the original you are using for inspiration?  There are a few architectural items I'd like to comment on before you go any further, but I want to be better informed first.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:29:29 AM »
Those are great images!  And they confirm my suspicion about an architectural observation.  First of all, I'm surprised at how deep the Boutet pistol is vertically through the lock area.  I'd guess that between the bottom edge of the lock plate and the lower edge of the stock, is ~ 5/16", which is a lot!  I do not know if it is possible on yhour build, but in my humble opinion, I believe the pistol would be improved if you were able to re-inlet the trigger, and the guard a bit deeper to approach this dimension.  In addition, I think you should reduce the depth of the grip just behind the trigger and guard...yours looks a little voluptuous.  This wood should come off from the trigger side rather than the back of the grip.  I hope this is not being too critical.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 05:10:56 AM »
D. Taylor, the photo is it the best.  It is not as voluptuous as it appears in the photo.  The plane of the bottom molding and the plane of the TG inlet (front is almost flat.  I'll try to post a better photo.
Ed