Author Topic: Color case hardened lock - Browning?  (Read 2641 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Color case hardened lock - Browning?
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:45:01 AM »
Has anyone ever stripped and browned a lock plate that was originally color case hardened? Im tired of that blue looking stuff and want to Brown my next hawken on the work bench.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Color case hardened lock - Browning?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:36:26 AM »
You will have to CUT away the old finish to expose new steel.  Use abrasive cloth or wet/dry paper.  You don't need to go finer than 220.  It'll brown fine.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:56:10 AM »
I would like to suggest that you might not want to brown the lock as such.   Original gun locks were invariably polished and case-hardened although I have never seen one that still had the color on it.    If they end up gray or brown after 200 years, it is by natural aging, and I don't see anything wrong with wanting to recreate that patina.   I usually do that to some extent or another.   Just a thought. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:17:38 AM »
 I suspect the color on a CVA lock is just that, color only. It probably can be removed with Naval Jelly or something similar. I'd try that first, rather than investing a lot of time in a gun of such little value.

Hungry Horse

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:24:20 AM »
i have blue and rust remover that i can try out. Not really messing with it till after i finish the current one i am working on.