Author Topic: Draw file source  (Read 3257 times)

Offline mab7

Draw file source
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
My dad used to have a single cut mill file that was rectangular, with no tang and both side edges were protected (smooth, no filing). It was 4" x 8" and was specifically made for draw filing. That thing was ideal. Well, he loaned it out at some point in the past and you can guess the rest...

At one time, Brownell's sold them but if they still do, I can't seem to find it.
Anyone have any idea or source where one could be had again?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Draw file source
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
My dad used to have a single cut mill file that was rectangular, with no tang and both side edges were protected (smooth, no filing). It was 4" x 8" and was specifically made for draw filing. That thing was ideal. Well, he loaned it out at some point in the past and you can guess the rest...

At one time, Brownell's sold them but if they still do, I can't seem to find it.
Anyone have any idea or source where one could be had again?
I have such a file but it's marked "Doctor blade file"and was supposedly
a special type for the textile industry.A 10"long angle lathe file is a good
draw file and if you put a few drops of tapping fluid on the piece being
filed it will work even better.

Bob Roller

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
I agree with Bob - I use a lathe file on the barrels to get a nice finish - never used any cutting fluid or anything else except some chalk - but if it works for you then OK.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline mab7

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:22 PM »
Awesome - thanks guys!

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:26:49 PM »
Yep! A 10 or 12" lathe file>
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:47:05 AM by greybeard »

westbj2

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:00:36 AM »
Buy a 14" long angle lathe file and cut it in half.  Clean up the cut end and ease the corners front and back.  This will result in a tool that is about 7" long and 1 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick, a convenient size easy to handle.  Use it on the barrel the long way perhaps with a slight angle.  With this file you can keep almost the entire file on the work with no worries about ripples or low spots.  It is also easy to control with regard to maintaining the corners or the flats.
Jim

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 04:14:23 AM »
I have no complaints about using a 10" Mill file for draw filing a barrel for the sole purpose of removing mill marks.    It gives me a finished surface very quickly.   However,   a lathe file would probably be quicker, especially if I were reshaping a barrel.   I have just never been disaffected enough by the Mill file to bother ordering something different.     For those who use lathe files,  am I missing out on something by not using the lathe file?