Author Topic: One lockscrew, or two?  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Gun_Nut_73

One lockscrew, or two?
« on: February 10, 2015, 01:29:25 AM »
Could someone please explain to me why some locks are held to the sideplate with one screw, and others with two screws? 

What time period is correct for each, and does one have an advantage over the other?

eddillon

Re: One lockscrew, or two?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:26 AM »
The single screw with hook front were used on S X S shotguns and rifles.  front lock bolts tended to interfere with barrels.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:05:31 AM »
For the most part, flintlocks have two. (Not always, but usually) percussion's have one (again, not always, but usually. Percussion locks are supported somewhat by the drum, and have less mass than a flint.
Two is always better!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:13:38 AM »
The TN's have a slight tendency toward a single, but many had two.

Indicate your primary interests in styles and folks can give the most correctest answers.   ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:47 AM »
 Some European guns had one because it left room for a larger ram rod. Some had one because it made it possible to have a more slender stock.  Some had one because it made it possible to use a lot of different side plates. Some had one because the maker drilled the ram rod hole and never left room enough for the front lock bolt. In any event one works with a good hook system. Neither way is incorrect.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:46:10 AM »
I am at the unenviable stage where I know that  I don't know much at all in terms of muzzleloading rifle styles. 

I like the simple and straight lines of the TN and KY rifles, and don't appreciate the large curves on some of the PENN styles.  I enjoy shooting squirrel rifle (smaller than .32) with a full stock and long sight radius more than a .50 or .54 Hawken style, even if the squirrel rifle DOES need more care and attention (cleaning a 40 inch .31 cal barrel is a bit harder than cleaning a  24 inch .54 cal barrel).

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:28:03 AM »
The flint in the flintlock cock strikes the frizzen transferring its energy into the lock plate.  A percussion hammer strikes the cap on the nipple, transferring the impact energy to the barrel.  For this reason, in general, a flintlock requires the support of two lock bolts, were as the percussion lock can get away with one lock bolt.

But as stated in many posts above never say always.

I'm sure someone can explain this more eloquently.
Kunk

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:57:09 AM »
 Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The reaction of a percussion exerts the same energy on the lock plate as it does on the nipple.  Maybe a engineer can confirm this. This is a basic rule of physics.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
The flint in the flintlock cock strikes the frizzen transferring its energy into the lock plate.  A percussion hammer strikes the cap on the nipple, transferring the impact energy to the barrel.  For this reason, in general, a flintlock requires the support of two lock bolts, were as the percussion lock can get away with one lock bolt.

But as stated in many posts above never say always.

I'm sure someone can explain this more eloquently.

A well made, well designed flintlock transfers most of it's cock strike energy into the frizzen , which brakes the speed and cushions the blow to the plate with a better balance of forces.  You can cock and trip a good flintlock in your hand with little jump from the strike. Most common percussion locks cause a scissor/pincer pressure between the cock and fore section of the plate when activated, causing upward pressure to the wood over the fore section of the plate. Many old percussion and cartridge guns that are thin stocked  have cracks or wood missing in that region, when not supported by a second screw or other means of support. As long as the percussion lock plate has good contact to the under side of a bolster, that will usually give extra support, but overall I believe the flintlock has the edge on even distribution and balance of forces.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
My unedjumakated guess is 2 looks better.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »
Hi Gun Nut,
Generally, flintlock guns made during 1620-1780 had two lock bolts holding the lock in place.  Some styles, like side by sides and over and under guns used a single bolt.  Later, the higher-end fashion was to use a single bolt in the rear and a hook in front.  The discussion about lock forces is interesting but not what is important here.  The important thing is that the flintlock MUST snug tightly up against the barrel for safety reasons. You don't want gaps that can be invaded by flash from the pan and burn the wood in the lock mortice.  Two lock bolts help bring the lock up tight even if the wood swells or the inlet is not perfect.  However, the same can be accomplished with a single bolt, but the lock inlet has to be very good so that nothing interferes with the lock snugging tight against the barrel.  The hook and stud replacing the front bolt help but the lock inlet must be very well done.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 04:31:09 AM »
I have a couple of original flint guns in my collection that have the foreword lock bolt hole drilled and tapped but when the gun was built only the rear location was used. On one gun (American manuf) the tapped hole was just left open. On another (English manuf) the hole was neatly plugged. These are both post 1800 guns but I wonder, did the single lock bolt become popular in the late flint era and carry over to the perc. era or were these late flint guns made late enough to be copying the percussion single bolt set up?  ...I was told that the lock makers drilled and tapped the mounting holes and even supplied the lock bolts when making the locks for resale....Ed
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:46:30 AM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 05:36:10 AM »
Hi,
Single lock bolts evolved during the flintlock era as early as 1780 or so.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the correction/clarification guys. I love the sharing of knowledge on this site.
Kunk

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:41:13 AM »
Thank you all, very much.  I am thinking of getting, making, buying, or most likely making a mess of, a squirrel rifle, and I was wondering if I should look for a lock with 1 screw or 2.  I see in the Dixie catalog that it is possible to get both flint and percussion with identical lock layouts, and that is tempting me to try to make a convertible .31 cal

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
I have a couple of original flint guns in my collection that have the foreword lock bolt hole drilled and tapped but when the gun was built only the rear location was used. On one gun (American manuf) the tapped hole was just left open. On another (English manuf) the hole was neatly plugged. These are both post 1800 guns but I wonder, did the single lock bolt become popular in the late flint era and carry over to the perc. era or were these late flint guns made late enough to be copying the percussion single bolt set up?  ...I was told that the lock makers drilled and tapped the mounting holes and even supplied the lock bolts when making the locks for resale....Ed

IF the inletting of the lock is tight and the frizzen isn't heavy,
there is no need for a second screw.Good quality stock wood also
is helpful too.Loose inletting will allow the lock to try to move and
make the job even worse.

Bob Roller

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »
 There were some locks that had a lug on the inside of the lock plate in the front. These locks had a front lock bolt but it was not visible from the outside. The ones I saw like that were Manton's I think.