Author Topic: toeplate release  (Read 3732 times)

Offline mountainman

toeplate release
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Just kind of curious, if anyone has a illustrated drawing of a toeplate release for a brass patchbox, especially the kind that J Brooks would have used, or Peter Berry, it seems like the buttons they used, was a 3/4 inch long x 3/32 " thick. Any ideas what the rod would have looked like on the inside, in connection with the button? or maybe you can refer me to another article, that already was mentioned on here.. any help would be appreciated..
BTW, I already have built patchboxes, with the release button on the top of buttplate, I just never did a toeplate release..

Offline Dave B

Re: toeplate release
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:06:21 AM »
This is not the rectangle type but it could easily be made into that syle by using flat stock vs the rod so the portion that is poking though the toe plate looks like a flag inset into the wood. This is a style I used for a Andrew Verner side opening patch box. I have use a straight rod vs the right angle bend on the last one I did and it worked just fine.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:28:36 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline mountainman

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:38:02 AM »
Thanks Dave, that illustration helps a lot.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »
A toe plate release is on the list for my current project.  Drilling the hole for the release rod has me a little intimidated.  Should I make guide for a had drill?  I envision it as a C-clamp shape with the spike on the goal end with a bushing to guide the drill the spike.  This is not my original idea.   Is this how it would be normally done?  I am not seeing a convenient way to set up the spike on the drill press/milling machine  with a spike.  Have a helper stand on a ladder to hold the stock?? 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »
So the design Dave drew is how my Peter Berry works.  I just drilled the hole with a hand drill.....  pilot hole and then larger drill. And it doesn't have to move far to release the lid. I made a button out of cow horn that is what shows thru the toe plate. sits on the end of the push rod.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:56:04 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:27:11 AM »
For another thought, I have an original John Brooks rifle that has the toe opening, but instead of a button showing, the opening rod just presses against the inside of the toe plate. The toe plate is flexible, or springy enough, that pressing the toe plate pops open the box door.

John
John Robbins