Author Topic: burl-stocked fowling piece photos  (Read 19719 times)

Offline KLMoors

Re: burl-stocked fowling piece photos
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 04:59:33 AM »
Amazing work Jim. I keep going back and staring! ;D

What was it like to scrape that burl wood? The textures on the wood really compliment the colors, IMHO.

JB2

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
some works of art require many viewings to pick up all the subtle details.  Mr. Kibler, this one will continue to surprise for months.  Don't know if ALR keeps a 'view count' on posts or threads, but I'm betting this one will rise to the top very quickly!

You may have to drop back and only answer questions once a week or so, or you may never get much other work done ;)

Thank you for your efforts, and the inspiration it provides.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
Amazing work Jim. I keep going back and staring! ;D

What was it like to scrape that burl wood? The textures on the wood really compliment the colors, IMHO.

Thanks all.   The burl scrapes okay, but not great.  Some of the texture you see is already from differential shrinkage in areas of varying grain direction.  Even when sanding, some areas cut more readily than others and create a bit of relief.

As I said, I'm super happy this has been well received.  Hopefully others will do some similar work of this period.

Jim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 01:15:19 AM »
Jim, your work is knock-dead gorgeous, a true labor of love.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 01:29:29 AM »
Jim, that is some very serious eye candy!  Your persistence, talent and skill are all showing on this piece.  You have definitely sparked my interest in building such a piece!  All sorts of wonderful new things to learn there!   Thanks for sharing the gun AND the information!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing