Author Topic: Question concerning desirable stock shape/dimension  (Read 3567 times)

Offline frogwalking

Question concerning desirable stock shape/dimension
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:13 AM »
I have a stock with the barrel inletted, and buttstock shaped for a generic Lancaster.  I have the tang inletted, the lock and triggers.  I am uncertain if too much wood remains below the lock.  If I need to inlet the triggers deeper and slim down the stock below the lock, in the area of the triggers.  Does someone have a diagram showing an ideal cross-section in this area?  I know you will want a photo, but it is snowing and the rifle is out in the workshop.  I don't walk well in the dark.

Thanks.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Waddie J Paddock

Re: Question concerning desirable stock shape/dimension
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:16:05 AM »
I would suggest checking out Track of the Wolf web site.  They sell full sets of plans for a multiple number of long gun designs.  Web site is www.trackofthewolf.com.

Waddie

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:18:33 AM »
Better than a diagram or a print in this case (I don't have any Lancaster style blueprints yet - so I can't put in a shameless plug here!) - figure out where your front triggerguard extension will be, then drill a 1/16" hole down into the ramrod channel, but not through the other side of it.  Now measure the depth you have, and subtract the diameter of the ramrod, to tell you how much wood you have below it.  You can't do anything about the web between the ramrod and barrel at this point, but you can remove most of the wood below the ramrod, leaving 1/8" - 5/32", maybe 3/16" on something really beefy remaining.  There are exceptions of course, but don't be afraid to slim it down - most pre-shaped stocks have a ton of wood left on them.  
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
I have a stock with the barrel inletted, and buttstock shaped for a generic Lancaster.  I have the tang inletted, the lock and triggers.  I am uncertain if too much wood remains below the lock.  If I need to inlet the triggers deeper and slim down the stock below the lock, in the area of the triggers.  Does someone have a diagram showing an ideal cross-section in this area?  I know you will want a photo, but it is snowing and the rifle is out in the workshop.  I don't walk well in the dark.

Thanks.

This all needs to be planned before any saw cuts are made to the blank or the barrel installed.
Determine where the breech end of the barrel will be. This requires a stock pattern the lay on the stock so as to lay out the basics. Draw the bottom line of the barrel on the stock. If its straight then a straight line can be drawn. If its a swamp simply draw a line that will intersect the breech and muzzle of the barrel.  The straight taper line will work for lay out purposes.  Now draw the line to indicate the middle of the side flat of the barrel.
Now draw in the web between the barrel and the rod channel/hole. On the stock pictured this is 3/16" since the finished rifle weighs 17 3/4 pounds.
Now draw in the rod hole.
Then lay the lockplate on the stock to determine where it will be based on the barrel placement.
This will tell you where the triggers, TG will be. Draw in the location of the sear and this will allow the trigger(s) to be planned for.
 Now add 1/8" or a little more below the rod hole and draw a line there. This is the bottom line of the stock
Finalize the wrist and buttstock to properly mate with the lines already drawn so the profile looks right. This is what sets the depth at the triggers NOT the triggers.

Note that the "center of flat is at .600" rather than .750.  This allows some error in the sawing and allows for removing the saw kerf. I true this up and bring it to where I want it as I set up to cut the channel. It also allows setting the front lock bolt in the right place so its not in the rod hole.

I sawed to the lines before drilling the rod hole. But I was SURE the groove was in the right place before starting to drill. IF the rod groove is not straight and parallel with the BORE (not the barrel exterior) the hole will not be where you want it at the breech end.

Not too bad for a 1 1/4" barrel and a 3/8 rod. Its a little smaller after carving and final smoothing.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:50:58 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:46:22 PM »
Thanks Dan, and also everyone else.  I think I need to remove a little more wood as I have a small swamped barrel and a very small space between the rr hole and barrel in the rear.  There is a full sized lock, so I can't make it too skinny here.  I needed to determine if the bottom of the stock in the lock area should be mostly flat, or somewhat V shaped with the trigger guard at the bottom of the V.  It looks like the answer is mostly flat.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
 For the ideal measurement with a 3/8" ram rod the bottom of the stock measured at the front of the lock should be 5/ 8" below the bottom of the barrel.  That leaves a 1/8" web. 3/8" for the ram rod hole and  1/8" of wood over the hole. That is why the position of the ram rod hole is so critical.

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.