Author Topic: Red walnut finish  (Read 11981 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Red walnut finish
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 04:27:46 AM »
Jerry,

I am anxious to see the CD.  I was going to go to the FEGA meeting this year but got jammed up at the last minute.

As for the nitric acid, I have not used them, but I would contact this outfit about how to ship.  I have heard good things about them.....

http://www.terracepackaging.com/products.php
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Mountain Rifle

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »
Dixie Gunworks sells an antique stock stain that gives a strong red finish and looks good. If I use it again, I will ad some brown to darken it. You can also buy iron oxide from a number of vendors on the web. It won't darken over time without nitric acid, but it's easier to buy. You can add some brown, or even black dye to give it that dark antique look. Good luck with whatever you use.

Regards,
MR

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 09:23:28 PM »
 I have about 5 quarts of nitric acid around my shop. I keep it in acid bottles and in a cooler packed in Styrofoam. It never rusts anything around my shop. The one acid that will is. Aqua Regia.  It is a combo of nitric and hydrochloric acid. I will not keep it around my shop.  Bad Stuff.
   With regard to the red finish, the English put alkanet root in their finish to give it a red tint. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:25:53 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.