Author Topic: jp beck wrist Questions  (Read 3760 times)

jluke

jp beck wrist Questions
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:08 AM »
I know this maybe a silly thing to ask ,but I will throw it out ,it appears that the wrist portion of the original beck rifles seems thicker than that of other builders of that time period ,though ive never eyed an original is this correct ,thanks as always .luke
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:34:51 AM by Luke »

Offline JDK

Re: beck wrist Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »
Normally responses aren't this long in coming.  My guess everybody is just wondering which Beck you're asking about.

There were over a dozen known gun builders with the surname Beck, and some of them signed their work "& Son"

So, you can imagine the confusion. :D  Just sit tight and Enjoy, J.D. 
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:47:56 AM »
Luke - it's definitely not a silly question.  You are right to ask about the wrist proportions.  Assuming you mean J.P. Beck, yes, the wrists on his guns are very stout compared to other makers of the period.  An average wrist dimension in height is 1 7/16" or thereabouts.  A lot of his guns have survived intact no doubt in part because of the heavier wrist section.  The Beck I built over the summer had a 1 7/16" wrist as well, by about 1 1/4" wide if I recall correctly: http://www.neahkahnieflintlocks.com/jp-beck.html.  Rifles of Colonial America volume 2 has several Beck rifles complete with full dimensions.  Hope this helps - fire away if you have any other Beck questions.  There are a few good ones in the ALR virtual library too! 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Thom

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:53 AM »
While living in Pennsylvania I did get to examine original rifles. I noticed that JP Beck and especially N. Beyer would leave the wood way proud of the lock plate and sideplate. This gave them much more leeway for great architecture. Always upset me that I could not utilize that because  of contemporary standards. I don't think Beck or Beyer would do well at Dixon's.

Thom
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:37:01 AM by Thom »

jluke

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 02:34:05 AM »
JP beck is the maker I am referring too

Ric27

Re: jp beck wrist Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 03:56:09 AM »
I know this maybe a silly thing to ask ,but I will throw it out ,it appears that the wrist portion of the original beck rifles seems thicker than that of other builders of that time period ,though ive never eyed an original is this correct ,thanks as always .luke

JP Beck continued tho make guns with wide butt stocks and heavy wrists well after others had started to slim down their rifles. His guns seem to actually get a little thicker late in the Rev war and after. 2" butt and 1.5" wrists were the norm for JP. There were plenty of makers in that category before and during the Rev War. some were even considerably larger. Many were making guns with wrists wider than tall up north of Lancaster. It is a defiantly a early trait. You need a barrel with a wide breach and lock with a wide bolster to pull off the big old guns. Many of the JP Beck guns in my books have a breach at right around 1.125".   

Offline ptk1126

Re: jp beck wrist Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »
The JP Beck Washington  rifle at the Frazier Museum measures at the wrist
1.32" wide by 1.45" high.

All the best
Paul