Author Topic: Magnifying Optics  (Read 3235 times)

Offline frogwalking

Magnifying Optics
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
What do you use to enable you to see minute details in the making of longrifles.  I have an inexpensive "eye shade" type of plastic magnifying device that is considerably better than nothing, however, there must be something better.  I would like to know what you use, and, if it works well, where I can buy a similar one.  Like many if you, I have the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes, but it will be some time before they need surgery.

Thanks for the reply.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Magnifying Optics
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
Frogwalking, this is what I use and from what I read, a lot of people here do as well.
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Donegan-OptiVISOR-with-35X-Lens/113199
Robby
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:12:13 PM by Robby »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
Optivisor  with #5 lens. Get the glass lenses. The  inexpensive economy plastic lenses will cause your dominate eyeball to fall out and roll to the darkest recesses of the shop floor, then you will have to buy the good glass lens to find it. They , Donegan I believe, also make a LED light that fits over the eyepiece that is a great accessory.
Richard

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
 I have two optimizers.  One is a 4x and the other is a 7x.  I seldom use the 7x because it doesn't leave you enough working room and the field or vision is too small. Another option is to get a pair of prescription 4x or 5x eyeglasses.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »
Optivisor's are great, and you can wear your prescription glasses under them if needed. However, be aware of the focal length associated with the various powers. A # 5 ( 2.5 X ) has a focal length of about 8 inches. A #3 (1.75X ) has a length of about 14 inches. A #10 is only about 4 inches. I found a store with various powers available and tried them on to determine the best power/focal length for me, and ended up with a #3. I use these for wood work and engraving, but for small engraving details use a microscope.
Another option are Dental/Medical Loupes. These come is various powers and prices.
The very best improvement for me was cataract surgery,,, whoo hooo my eye went from a blurry mess to crystal clear!
John
John Robbins

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
I ordered an Optivisor with a #5 lens, they sent a #7, short focal length but I have become used to them made a much better second rifle than my first with them.

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:27:47 AM »
I like the #3 for most work; also have a #5 for a little bit better view on fine work.  The LED light unit is on my #3 when I don't want a shadow on the work.

Dave Dolliver