Author Topic: Cleaning Wood  (Read 5655 times)

Offline ptk1126

Cleaning Wood
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
What have you found to be the most effective way to clean lamp black off the
stock after inletting ?

I have some very black areas inside the piercings of the patchbox finial
where files, sandpaper, etc can't be used because the wood and metal
surfaces are already level with each other.

Thanks
Paul

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Cleaning Wood
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
That's a very good question. Since it is not under the inlay and it will show and wood & metal are level I am at a loss for a good suggestion. I use soot from a small lamp oil burning "hurricane lamp" and it does get a bit messy at times (I do scrape most of the soot off) but it will be covered by the inlay - sorry I can't be of much help maybe some other's can give advise that will help us both.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:43:02 PM »
I think Tom Curran has recommended lacquer thinner???
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
I have had good results by rubbing the stock down with lacquer thinner.  The key is continuous cleaning through out the build.  Don't let dirt build up on the stock over long periods of time.  Sometimes I will perform a light sanding or scraping to clean up areas as well.
David  

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
Fire damage restoration companies would use a Dry Cleaning Soot Sponge followed by a liquid degreaser of some sort.

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:19 PM »
I use "Permatex" spotting compound mixed w/ high temp front bearing grease for inletting various components and   it evidently  doesn't penetrate dense maple ....as I have never  "cleaned" a stock while in the white. It seems the various  sandings  rid the stock of this spotting compound . 

There have been quite a few posts that are concerned w/ a "dirty" stock and how to eliminate the "dirt" caused by spotting mat'ls.  If I had this problem, I'd think about changing what was being used......Fred

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
If they are already level, why can't you sand it?  You will remove practically nothing and the surfaces will still be level when done.  Put some 400 grit wet paper on a sanding block and have at it.  Once it's gone,flush the area with brake parts or carburetor cleaner in an aerosol can.  I find that "wiping" soot with anything just allows it to penetrate deeper into the wood as though it were a stain.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

sweed

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »
Might try to "seal" the wood before starting. Maybe some of yer wifes hair spray? That would at least keep it on the surface. Thats Speculation though, and not at all proven!  ???

I do know that there is nothing at all that will take diesel exhaust stains off of fiber glass or painted surfaces like Denatured Alcohol.  ;D  I found this out in the boat yard, and while runnin off shore, and Tug boats. It cuts nicotine stains off hard surfaces with ease.  ;) Since then if I have something to clean I reach for the  D A first! Its water soluble, and evaporates quickly. Worth a try on any cleaning problem!

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »
Hi Folks

Thank for the replies. What I called lamp black is soot from a small kerosene lamp.

I don't want to sand the level surfaces because the patchbox is already engraved.

I had a difficult time with the finial as it was my first pierced one. I took a lot more
time with it and had MANY removals, blackening, and replacements. The only real
problem is the wood inside the piercings.

I have some pieces of practice stocks so perhaps I will apply some soot to one and
experiment with lacquer thinner,  denatured alcohol, carburetor cleaner or anything
else I can find.

All the best
Paul

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 12:54:33 AM »
If anything the lesson for people doing future builds is that it is easier to do the inlays and THEN engrave them.....either in the gun or out, builders/engravers choice.  Inlet and then finish with abrasives so that both wood and inlay are on the same plane and leaving a clean surface.

Even in this case, where the engraving was done first, unless the engraving is extremely shallow it should stand up to at least a little sanding.  If resetting "original" work this should be avoided of course.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

sweed

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
While you got the practice stuff out, mix a little lite lacquer. Get the flakes, and mix with Denatured alcohol, but dont go full strength. You just want to 'seal' the surface. When all is done the Denatured alcohol will cut the lacquer off, leaving the wood clean.....I think! ???
Worth a shot!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:29:27 AM »
Just remember one thing.  Soot isn't soluble in any of the solvents mentioned.  It needs to be flushed off, not sealed in.

Alternatively, flush as much of it off as you can and incorporate the remainder into your aging process.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Rich

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
Try an art gum eraser, the soft tan ones. 

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
Thanks again for the ideas, Folks.

JDK:  I heartily agree the lesson for all is INLET FIRST !!  Although others may not be as messy as I am,
         it sure makes the inletting process easier. Oh Well, Live and Learn - only another 12 inlays to go :(

All the best
Paul

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »
While testing lacquer thinner, you might also want to try Formby 's Wood Cleaner. Worth a try. Strips grease and wax off of finished while not harming finish. Best wishes, Marc

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
Reread what Dave Kanger said.  Carbon, i.e. soot, is not soluble in any solvent!  When we use soap and water to clean something the soap forms a chemical bond with the stuff we are trying to remove and the water, thus making the stuff soluble.  Organic solvents dissolve oils and greases making them removable.  Soot is not soluble.  You will have to mechanically remove it with either scraping, sanding or some other physical (mechanical)  method. 

The use of rubber or plastic erasers is another "mechanical" method because the eraser is abraded during use and the little bits of carbon are physical incorporated in the abraded eraser and held in the abraded bits by electro-static attraction.  In my experience erasers are one of the most productive ways of removing carbon black.  Try all different types, both with the grain and across.  Be prepared to "use-up" more than one eraser.  Pink pearls, white plastic and gum rubber erasers all work but some types work better in some areas than others.  Go to an artist supply store and get some of the plastic putty erasers used for charcoal drawing clean-up.  They work really well.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
John

Many thanks. I picked up a plastic eraser at a craft store and it worked very well.
It really picks up the soot. Just have to wipe it off the eraser so it doesn't smear.

All the best
Paul