Author Topic: froze drum  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Daniel

froze drum
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »
 A coworker brought me a CVA mountain rifle. It's a kit gun that hasn't been taken very good care of.
He asked if I could get it shooting. The breech has rust in it and the drum froze in place. What is the
recommended way to remove it ?  If I would need a drum for it where can I get one ? ???
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline EC121

Re: froze drum
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
Some of those CVAs had the drum screwed into the breech plug.  Try heating it a little  and putting Kroil or some other penetrating oil on it.  I've seen the turbine generator folks spray the oil and tap on the shell or bolt to make the oil move when they split the shell of the turbine.  Let it soak overnight.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
A coworker brought me a CVA mountain rifle. It's a kit gun that hasn't been taken very good care of.
He asked if I could get it shooting. The breech has rust in it and the drum froze in place. What is the
recommended way to remove it ?  If I would need a drum for it where can I get one ? ???

This sounds like another victim of artificial black powder and may be beyond help
 if you get it apart.

Bob Roller

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
It seems to me that there are all kinds of those same barrels for sale on ebay.  Why not just replace it?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
 CVA did not recommend removal of the drum, and in fact voided any warrantee if you did so. These drums have a thread that goes all the way to the center of the plug. Drill out he clean out screw which is no doubt frozen. Clean out the drum down to the breech, retap the clean out screw hole, put it all back together, and give it a try. If you screw up the original drum there is no replacement.

Hungry Horse

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
  Do this ,,,, right AFTER you confirm it is not charged ,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Daniel

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »
No charge. Drum broke off. It had an inch of rust in the breech all the way to the nipple.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
 :P lol - find a garbage can and make the deposit.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:53 PM »
It is garbage.  Dispose of it and start with something of value.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
Oh no-I wouldn't throw it completely out, i'd cut the bbl into handy lengths to use for spacers and handles and slide-hammers and sech!  Maybe split it a section lengthwise for a good view of what can happen to a bore.  :o

Hold to the Wind

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
Those bad barrel sections are good as practice plates for engraving your name and inlaying wire for barrel bands or ovals to engrave your name in.  They cut extremely easy with hammer and chisel.  You can also practice squaring up the muzzle of a cut off barrel with just a file and then crowning it.  Other uses will present themselves........dovetail practice, sight installation, etc.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daniel

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:14:19 PM »
 It's sad to see a man abuse a gun like that. I bought a gun from a guy who said the rifle was made by Kit Ravenshear.
It was but had to send the barrel to Mr. Hoyt . It's now a .63 cal.
Good idea to use as engraving  on the barrel. I'll scrap out the parts for the owner.
Thanks.

Offline FDR

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »
You will find what CVA parts that are available here.
http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

ottawa

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
cva drums were a 10mm cant remember the thread pitch had to replace a few but if the barrel is that bad pitch it or cut it back and make a short rifle from the parts but teach the new guy how to do it so he will learn.