Author Topic: Jaeger Rear Sight Opinions  (Read 4128 times)

ejcrist

Jaeger Rear Sight Opinions
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
I have a TOW Jaeger rifle kit that I'll be putting together soon. The rear sight that came with the kit is a standard fixed sight, but after reading parts of the Shumway Jaeger book I was thinking about putting a folding leaf sight on it since a lot of original jaegers had them. The sight I'm thinking about installing is TOW's part # RS-JAEG-2. I'm curious if anyone has a preference one way or the other about using a fixed vs. folding sight. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the folding sight since I plan to hunt with it and take shots up to about 100 yards. and the 62 caliber I'm putting together will have the most arced trajectory of all my prb rifles. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

Offline conquerordie

Re: Jaeger Rear Sight Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:12:23 PM »
The other conversation going on about twist rates in jaeger show  that a two leaf sight is necessary for more accurate shots out to 100yards. I'll be facing this same problem and will being going with a two leaf rear. They might have some others at TRS from originals. Won't know exactly til I get closer. I'm at the point of waiting for the plank to arrive!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:50:28 PM »
A Jaeger needs a folding sight because its a Jaeger. Don't forget the horn nosecap and ramrod tip also.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
 What is the twist on the barrel you are using? 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

ejcrist

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »
Roger that Pete. My sentiments exactly. I've never made a horn nose cap before but I have the short but good tutorial from here on this website (http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5068.0). The more I'm learning about jaegers, the more I'm falling in love with them. If you think about it they're easy handling, well balanced, have folding sights for four different sight-in ranges, and sport slings. They're the ultimate hunting rifle in my opinion.

Jerry - I have a Rice 1:66. At first I wanted a 1:72 but after talking to others here and reading the Jaeger Book from Shumway I'm glad I got the 1:66. When I attempt a scratch jaeger build later down the road I'd like to fit her with a 62 caliber 1:48 or thereabouts. I think that would be a neat rifle that could shoot lighter loads well.

Gene

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:02:23 PM »
 That is a good all around twist. My buddy has a 1:72 and he shoots a load of 220 grs. ffg for elk. It's a kicker. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:30:26 AM »
I have some experience with big bores and 1:66" twist.  My jaeger  with a Getz .60 cal liked .590" or .595" pure lead ball. .022" patch with either oil or spit, and 86 gr. FFg GOEX for target, and 120 gr. for hunting.  I built the rifle with a folding leaf sight, but removed the leaf, preferring to hold front sight above the rear for long distance.  I won several matches out to 275 yds. with this rifle.

My .62 cal Rice bbl. on my Hawken insists upon 127 gr. before I get the accuracy that will satisfy me, at 200 yds.  I has again, a simple shallow "V" sight and bead front sight.  I shoot a .613" ball and .022" patch in this rifle when accuracy matters.  For trail shoots, I shoot a .600 ball...targets are a lot closer..

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
I found it amazing how much powder a 66" twist would "allow" and still give incredible accuracy. My 14 bore with 66" twist did not lose accuracy at 100 meters when using 200gr. 2F GOEX, but I found the recoil was excessive. I settled on 165 for a hunting load that gave a point blank range of 130yards due to the 1,550fps velocity with it's 482gr. round ball.  My buddy's .75 also has a 66" twist barrel, that shoots well to 100 meters with from 100gr. up to 200gr. The recoil is memorable.  Nowadays, with today's GOEX - I'm using 140gr. 2F for the same accuracy and point of impact I used to get with 165gr. 2F GOEX.

A 66" twist will do just fine in most calibres.

My .45's 60" twist GM bl. thinks it's a match barrel. So does my .40's 48" twist. Go figure.  It is not a HARD science when dealing with round balls. Find a load it likes and stick with it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:16:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V