Author Topic: Engraving Advise please  (Read 5997 times)

Turtle

Engraving Advise please
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »
 I want to engrave initials on the  silver thumb piece already in my New England fouler. I am extremely non artistic and know I couldn't do it. Aside from shipping it to someone for them to do it, any ideas on handling it myself? I have engravers and a power engraver. Stencils? My local jewelry shop can't fit it in their machine.
                                       Thanks,Turtle

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Engraving Advise please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:09:35 PM »
If you absolutely can't do it, take the thumb plate out, send it to be engraved, and re-install it.
John
John Robbins

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
Turtle.
  That is not a good piece for a first time engraver.  It has a compound curve and that makes it harder for a novice. If you plan to have the initials in Roman letters that also makes it harder. No job to start out on.
 Send it out.  There are guys on this forum that are able to do the job.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline JDK

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
If your profile was more complete we would know what area of the country you're in and better direct you. ;)

Heck there's probably someone on this board that lives close to you that can and would do it.

Furthermore, unless that jewelery store is the only one within a 100 mile radius I bet there's another that offers "full service" and has someone that hand engraves.

There are many trades that engage engravers besides jewelery too.

Just for S&G's here's a link to the engravers guilds membership I just googled up:

Regular members: http://www.fega.com/MemberWebPages/Regular.asp

Masters: http://www.fega.com/memberwebpages/Masterpage1.asp

Whatever you do don't use one of those electric vibrating or spinning engravers they sell for putting your I.D. on your stuff to prevent theft. :P

Enjoy, J.D.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:59:35 PM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
 This is the link to the master engravers.
http://www.fega.com/MemberWebPages/MasterPage1.asp
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
Thanks Jerry.  I corrected my post.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Turtle

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »
Sorry, I am in WNY. I epoxied the thumb piece in. How can I get it out without ruining it? I really want the initials of my ancestor who fought in the Conn provincials in the attack on  FT Ticonderoga in the F+I war on it. I have modified it into  Militia musket by cutting back the forestock, moving the ft sight back, adding a bayonet lug, adding sling swivels, and converting it from a wood to a steel rammer.

Turtle

Offline JDK

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
There are members here from Western New York and perhaps some of them will speak up.

As far as engravers in other trades, I'm sure there are many in that neck of the woods....you would just have to seek them out. 

Again, "full service" jewelers should be a plenty in metropolitan areas like Buffalo.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:54:13 AM »
I epoxied the thumb piece

epoxy will soften with alittle heat . i have removed epoxied  inlays with a soldering iron

sweed

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 02:03:17 AM »

epoxy will soften with alittle heat . i have removed epoxied  inlays with a soldering iron

The cheaper the epoxy, the less heat is needed! High quality epoxys are much stronger, and require more heat to soften than the walmart stuff in two tubes!!

Offline Captchee

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »

epoxy will soften with alittle heat . i have removed epoxied  inlays with a soldering iron

The cheaper the epoxy, the less heat is needed! High quality epoxys are much stronger, and require more heat to soften than the walmart stuff in two tubes!!

true , very true . but heat will still soften and release , even high quality epoxies used in aircraft applications  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:52:06 AM by Captchee »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 05:31:49 AM »
Look for a company that engraves trophy's.
The one in this area uses a laser to 'engrave', but the script lettering would give you perfect initials, and then maybe you could just cut over them.
Sounds like a neat musket!
John
John Robbins

Thawk

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 06:15:43 AM »
Sorry, I am in WNY. I epoxied the thumb piece in. How can I get it out without ruining it? I really want the initials of my ancestor who fought in the Conn provincials in the attack on  FT Ticonderoga in the F+I war on it. I have modified it into  Militia musket by cutting back the forestock, moving the ft sight back, adding a bayonet lug, adding sling swivels, and converting it from a wood to a steel rammer.

Turtle
I am orginaly from East Aurora.  There is a guy in Holland who can probably help you out. http://www.vmstu.com/contact.html
Wait....  I have ancestors from Connecticut that also fought in the F&I revolution.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:20:20 AM by Thawk »

Offline c deperro

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Turtle.... IM from western NY Springville area. I can do your thumb piece.

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
  The great thing about this man is that he is actually billed for loosing his government supplied bayonet on the date of and in  the unsuccessful attack, so I positively know he was there. He supplied his own gun though. It's a cherry stock and I copied features in the flintlock fouler book.
                                            Thanks for all the help,Turtle

Turtle

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
 I contacted c depero about engraving my thumb piece. Not only did he do it beautifully for me, but I got to meet a local gun builder I had always wanted to see.
                                     Thanks,Turtle