Author Topic: Humbled, and honored  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Humbled, and honored
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
I, for one am humbled, and honored to get to see stuff like todays Bill Shipman rifle before it reaches the makers blog, which is a jewel in itself.  It's wonderful to see some of these pieces as they are being created, well before they appear on the blog, which gives us such a wonderful learning tool.  Thank you artists, and builders for sharing with us first, not only your artistry, but giving us some guidance, and direction in our own endeavors.  It's like in some ways being able to walk among the masters of two hundred years ago, and being able to pick their brains.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:15:34 PM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Birddog6

Re: Humbled, and honored
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
I just saw it on the blog.  Man, what a Outstanding  job he did with that rifle.  Wish I could see it in-hand.

;)

Keith

Offline art riser

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »
Does it really make a difference where things are posted first?

Art
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:39:34 PM by art riser »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:11 PM »
Does it really make a difference where things are posted first?

Art
Nope, not to me, nice to see it both places. It is nice to see a gun mid way through building too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
Wonderful, Bill -  a pleasure to meet a master & get to know you some, at Dixon's.

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
Mike, you have a beauty on there now also, very nice work as always.
T.P. Hern

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:45:50 AM »
No, Art It doesn't, make any difference.  Maybe I didn't quite phrase it right, I was trying to say that I feel honored to be involved with the artists on this site, that are talented enough to make it to your blog, and I consider Jan's, and Your skill in bringing forth  these artisans to the world, to see, and enjoy, just as much of an art form.  Where as you are posting their artwork beautifully, here they are unselfishly sharing their skills, and how to's, how the art evolved.  Kind of like being on stage behind a magician, and seeing how a trick is performed, as opposed to being out front and saying "howed he do that".  And sometimes it appears on your blog before it makes it here.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:23 AM »
First, thanks for the compliments.It makes no difference where things appear first. This site and the contemporary makers blog are different venues and each very valuable. I firmly believe that the success of our passion is directly related to our decision to share, rather than withhold our secrets. This site tends to elicit comment. Questions, compliments and criticism.  How did you do this or that? The contempory makers blog is more archival. A lot more stuff and you can access it prehaps as long as the site lasts. I use it for ideas all the time.