Author Topic: First build boo-boos...  (Read 5436 times)

dlbarr

First build boo-boos...
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »
When you've over-done the inletting, is there some filler that can be used or some method of filling in those ugly gaps?

My wood is maple with a moderate curl. I plan on using ferric nitrate for the finish. Thanks for any help.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: First build boo-boos...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »
If you really mess it up,  you must inlet a mini-slab of wood and re-let your part.  It's not completely unusual for original guns to have had such repairs, and if done with skill, they are hardly noticeable and don't detract much.

Or consider the slight gaps a head-start on your aging process.  ;)

Patching wood should be cut from same piece of wood to get color/grain match, which is a legitimate reason for beginners to use blanks.

In some cases the metal parts can be enlarged to mitigate gappage. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
Yep, patch with wood.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »
If you have some of the same wood left over you can use a plane to shave off curls of wood to glue in the inlet. Wet the curls and let dry between two boards so it will be flat. Use good glue such as Tite Bond.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dlbarr

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »
OK gentlemen, thank you for your input. I will go do that.

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
Depending on the part, and on how bad of a gap, you could also upset the metal slightly to fill the gap. Then finish flush with the wood.
Bob

Offline al56

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
Bee's wax.  Have seen several rifles made by makers that have bees waxs in those small areas that are never going to be removed.  Areas such as ramrod thimbles and butt plates.
Al

dlbarr

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »
Bee's wax.  Have seen several rifles made by makers that have bees waxs in those small areas that are never going to be removed.  Areas such as ramrod thimbles and butt plates.
Al

That is where my challenges lie - the buttplate & the entry pipe for ramrod....not quite understanding the use of beeswax. Won't that have a tendency to become dry, brittle and then possibly crumble? As you can see, I haven't worked with it before...how do you apply it? By just rubbing it in the gap? 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:08:56 AM »
As you can see, I haven't worked with it before...how do you apply it? By just rubbing it in the gap?
Never used it to fill gaps in in-letting but I use it all the time to fill holes where the barrel cross pins go. I just rub it across the hole a few times until its full. Then I take an old piece of wash cloth and rub off the excess. Keeps the pins water tight and usually blends in with the finish.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dlbarr

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:59 AM »
Got it. Thanks, Dennis.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:39:07 PM »
Take some bees wax and some shoe polish and melt the two together and you will get a brown beeswax sort of a mixture. If your gaps are not to large you can use a small ball peen hammer to push and stretch the metal into those gaps also. If you have a brass buttplate be carefull if you intend to stretch the metal: too much hammering will harden it and little cracks will occur.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
Black wax/crayons have always been good for filling the occasional small gap.  I actually have a wax filler set, but rarely use anything other than black.   If it is more than a small fingernail width gap, I would patch/fill with wood.   I will glue in wood shavings or wood dust and glue for slightly larger gaps than I would fill with wax.   The wood filler will take stain but it will still be darker than the surrounding wood.  This may or may not be a problem depending on if your are going to age or not.  if you need as close to perfect as possible for an as new presentation, then putting matching wood patch in the inlet is the way to go.  You just need to fill the part of the inlet with the gap and then re-cut the inlet in that place once the glue has dried.  

Like Gaekle, my preferred method of fixing an inletting problem is to stretch the metal if I can.  I always do this with the butt piece, brass and iron.   I frequently end up doing this with the barrel tang.  I have even done it with a lock plate.   With the thinner inlays, you pretty much have to patch the wood.   I don't think you can effectively stretch anything thinner than 1/16".   If you have to hammer brass or silver much,  anneal it after a few hits. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:34:55 AM by Mark Elliott »

CHARLY

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
Take some bees wax and some shoe polish and melt the two together and you will get a brown beeswax sort of a mixture. If your gaps are not to large you can use a small ball peen hammer to push and stretch the metal into those gaps also. If you have a brass buttplate be carefull if you intend to stretch the metal: too much hammering will harden it and little cracks will occur.
BRILLIANT IDEA --!
THANKU GAECKLE---
 AS  a novice lock builder -had similar gaps in side plate near top of bolster --
aprox 2 mm gap --mild steel 5 mm SIDE plate---awful sight -bad clumsy amateur  inletting /chisel work--African TEAK---
took your sage advice --

peened /carefully- flattened the plate side 5mm thick ---expanded out into a slight bulge --
-but it-- FILLED / HID  the nasty gap--(COULD SEE  a bit of sear spring before)

now all gone -polished / shaped ----happiness is a gapless lock plate--
thanku ---great advice -- ( almost cut another side plate--(groan) larger -28 th attempt))
-- your advice--saved a mountain of repeat work ---
very grateful
  BANG