Author Topic: Dueling/target pistol  (Read 2675 times)

andy49

Dueling/target pistol
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »
I have not had the opportunity to handle a real dueler but some of the many pictures of  I have seen look like a slightly swamped barrel would be an acceptable HC build. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Offline Ezra

Re: Dueling/target pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:16:57 AM »
Robert Wogdon, in my opinion, made some of the very best duelers of the day.  They were subtle, but elegant.  And of course, deadly.  Dueling pistols were generally made to order.  However, a gentle swamp would not be inconsistent with many that were made.  Including Mr. Wogdons.

http://www.flintlockcollection.net/robert-wogdon-2/

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

andy49

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:39:19 AM »
EZ
Those are really nice examples and it does look like there is a slight swamp in the barrel.
Andy

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:40 AM »
Yes, both of those do have gentle swamps.  I have at least one book around here specifically on duelers.  If I can find it, I will share the title & author.  Duelers were all about balance, quick, reliable ignition and accuracy.  Wogdons work was art.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
Hi Andy,
Ezra is right about dueling pistols made during the late 18th century.  A swamped octagon is very appropriate.  Before about 1770-75 some dueling pistols had swamped octagon to round profiles but the fully evolved English dueling pistols used swamped octagons.  Later in the 19th century, the barrels remained octagon but became heavier and sometimes had just a gentle taper.  I've handled several dueling pistols from that later time period and I do not care for how they feel.  I am a huge fan of those pistols made during  1775-1795 and in particular those by Robert Wogden.  The finest handling pistols I ever set to hand were a Wogden (single survivor of a pair), and (at the risk of being accused of conceit) the Wogden inspired pair I built a few years ago.  If I can pry them from my brother, I'll bring those pistols to Dixon's this year.  One thing to consider, Andy, the light and handy balance of Wogdens and pistols like them have a wonderful feel but many target pistol shooters prefer heavier barrels.  The later duelers probably make better target pistols for steady, deliberate, and slow aiming.

dave       
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."