Author Topic: Turning and Threading a Powder Horn Tip  (Read 19950 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Turning and Threading a Powder Horn Tip
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:45:09 AM »
I haven't had much time to work muzzleloading stuff as of late....very busy with making a living.  However, I needed to prepare a couple of raw horns for screw tips.  I wanted to get the tips nice and round quickly but without the trauma of trying to set up a lathe to turn just the tip of a horn as if flies around like the "fan blade of death".  I had what I will call a "box tool" that I had made some time ago for use on a lathe.  The tool had a couple of tool bits mounted in it and a drill in the center.  It was used in a tail stock and would drill a center hole and turn two different diameters on the work piece in just one plunge.  I thought, if I replace the 1/4 drill in the center with just a pilot and set up just one cutting bit at the appropriate diameter, I could probably hand turn the tool and cut a nice round nose on the horn to thread later.

I started by cutting the tip off the horn and drilling through to the inside with a 3/16 inch bit and then a 1/4 inch.  I adjusted the tool bit in the box tool to cut a 5/8 inch nose, inserted the pilot in the hole and turned the tool by hand.  It cut beautifully & here are some photos.......

After getting the nose nice and round, I made a brass pilot to help with getting the threads straight.  It is 1/4 inch diameter on one end and the thread root diameter (0.560) on the other.  Turing to the thread root diameter allows the die (5/8-18) to slide over the pilot but not engage it.  The die is then run onto the horn tip easily by hand. Took about 15 minutes to turn and thread two horn tips nice and straight.  More photos......

I'm going to make up a better, brass body box tool that will be easier to adjust for cut diameter and easier to use... and then a set of pilots for various nose diameters and thread pitches.  Wow.....you would think I had some free time on my hands or something.  Anyway, I just thought these ideas might be helpful to some of you.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:07:37 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dan Herda

Re: Turning and Threading a Powder Horn Tip
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
Thank you for sharing once again, I always enjoy your work and seeing another way to "skin the cat"!
Screw tips are next on my list after doing several applied tip horns.
Great little tutorial.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
A little over developed but nicely done. Second, thread the mandrel into the tip of the horn and thread the mandrel for the die and it will drive the die onto the horn making clean threads.  Well, at least if the horn isn't too dry. Finally, I don't care what threads you use but a 5/8 NC die is closer to the original threads than a fine. Well done.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:23:18 PM by skillman »
Steve Skillman

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »
VERY nice Dave - in true engineering fashion you made a scary job into an easy safe job ;). I will try this "new tool" in the future -- thanks 8).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
Good work, great pics.

That first tool really got my attention.  Believe I have it figgered out now.  Drilled, then milled for cutting insert?  thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
thread the mandrel into the tip of the horn and thread the mandrel for the die and it will drive the die onto the horn making clean threads.  Well, at least if the horn isn't too dry. Finally, I don't care what threads you use but a 5/8 NC die is closer to the original threads than a fine.
I agree Steve,
I turn my horns on a lathe, I find you tool interesting. But old habits are hard to break:)
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
Here's my tooling for horn threading.  Not as nice as Dave's but on the same principal.  I don't have a mill or metal lathe.  The hole-saw is a 3/4" OD, with an ID of 5/8" which is perfect for threading to 5/8-11.  The hole-saw pilot drill is 1/4".  I filed the die guide out of a 5/8" bolt.  I use about the same process as Dave.  Cut off horn tip, drill horn to 1/4", use the hole-saw to cut the horn OD to 5/8" down to the marker line.  I think the guide being threaded helps start the die on to the horn.  I heat the horn tip up some with a heat gun and also use some thread cutting oil, seems to make the threads cut easier/smoother.

-Ron
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:05:58 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 12:35:26 AM »
  On this site, go to the" Tutorials" accoutrement's, count down ten subjects  Tim Crosby has a tool there,,same idea just a little less work ,,,and Pictures !!!! for us type 3 learners,,,,

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 04:23:51 AM »
Look at all these neat ideas -- how clever are we all!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
A little over developed
Steve, I think not, at least by my standards.  ;D

Dave, Love the term "fan blade of death".  You could not be more spot on.
David   

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:05:32 AM »
Dave,  You are true engineer.   ;)     I tend to think things through, but I am much lazier than you.   You spare no effort to make a better mouse trap.

I should note that I turn my horns on a lathe.   I use a tool similar to yours for threading.  In my case,  I just took a bolt and turned the pilot on it.  I don't usually spend more time on my tools than I have to.   Of course,  "have to" is entirely relative.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:11:11 AM by Mark Elliott »