Author Topic: Finishing Cherry  (Read 6810 times)

Offline James

Finishing Cherry
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:42:00 AM »
Seeing a couple of figured cherry stock blanks in the items for sale section brings me to revisit a question I've had, but never found an answer to.  Is there a way to finish cherry so that it doesn't darken as much over time or at least darkens slowly so that the figure remains?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: Finishing Cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:27 AM »
Okay, James, I will say it again, even though no one pays attention.  I think that the most pleasing color for cherry, or walnut, is one or two coats of boiled linseed oil.  let that soak in until the surface is dry, then finish with your favorite varnish.  It will darken over the years and look like an antique long before it is.  And it will enhance the grain, not hide it. I hope this helps.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:29 AM »
Cherry will darken when exposed to sunlight regardless of finish type.  Cherry also does not do well with stains, it will muddy up the look of the grain.  To me, the best is to leave natural and apply finish or use lye to darken the wood then apply finish.  Those stocks are nice, if you bought either one, you would be best to go natural and not worry about normal aging/darkening, the grain will show nicely.  Cherry is nice to work with but is soft.  Would make nice light fowler stock.
Bob

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »
Not a gunstock, but a 30 year experience...

My Dad scratch built a cherry Shaker style grandfather clock for me in 1982 but he didn't get the wood finished before he passed away.

Not knowing any better at the time, I finished it with Homer Formsby's pigmented cherry stain and "tung oil". Tung oil was built to a thin surface film and gloss knocked back with rotten stone.

The pigmented stain muddied up the grain, so apologies to Dad.  May have to refinish before somebody inherits it.

The color hasn't changed much at all.  Figure is still very visible and the white sapwood streaks stand out. My guess is that keeping it out of the sun and a having a film of tung oil as an oxygen barrier has minimized darkening.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:16:14 AM »
If you want to try keeping cherry light, keep it away from UV and O2. And do not oil it. I used to oil my cherry furniture before applying hard finishes in order to CAUSE it to darken for clients looking for cherry the color of old cherry. I suppose you could try a UV blocking marine finish, but much of cherry's charm is the color it takes on with age.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:19:13 PM »
Two tablespoons of lye mixed with distilled water, brushed on with a natural bristle brush will produce a beautiful deep red tone.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
Its a modern solution but if you really must keep it from aging ... try some high end spar varnish with UV protection from Jamestown Distributers.......

Personally I like the lye treatnment, seal with shellac and Chambers oil finish.... will it darken ..yes ..  speed depends on sunlight exposure
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
Hi James,
As Tim mentioned, there are finishes with UV blockers.  Some exterior varnishes and Sutherland-Welles exterior polymerized tung oil come to mind.  There is not much else of which I am aware that will retard cherry from darkening.  I am like you.  I prefer the natural cherry color and don't care for artificially darkening or reddening it.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
I have some cherry planks that came from a log harvested on the farm where I grew up.  It was sawed into planks in 1982.  It has airdried since then.  It is very dark and when planed still has a nicer pink/red than fresh sawed cherry.  I want to make a fowling-piece from one of the planks, for sentimental reasons.  I prefer to see the pink/red, but I don't want to use the modern finishes.  I guess just build it and hope it takes 30 years to turn.  I have been cutting cherry logs  on my mill and occasionally find a figured piece.  I didn't realize the figure would still be noticeable after the wood gets darker. Thank you all for your help.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Brookville

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
Here's a small example of cherry stained with LMF Nut Brown.  The grain is quite clear.  Final finish is friction polish but I would assume a clear varnish would look the same.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:03:57 PM by Brookville »

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
 I have built several cherry stocked fowlers. I wanted the old red color.The first I stained a little red and would never do that again. The rest I just put linseed on them and put out in the sun to get redder. Some didn't red at all some did a little. One blank that was pink to start with turned a beautiful red as soon as the linsed touched it.
                                Turtle

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
 Do a search on: finishing cherry. There are several threads there that may help.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:05:53 PM by Tim Crosby »

DFHicks

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
Grabenkater: How much distilled water?
Thanks,
Greg

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:23 PM »
Grabenkater: How much distilled water?
Thanks,
Greg

I used a jelly jar about half full, I just guessed at it and it worked perfectly.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
Do be sure it is a natural bristle brush//plastic will make a mess in lye...........
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 11:42:10 PM »
Do be sure it is a natural bristle brush//plastic will make a mess in lye...........

This is why I used distilled water, I was worried that chemicals in the tap water might have mixed with the lye and reacted oddly.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Yes. Distilled water is safest. I tested with my tap water and distilled makes a nicer solution.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA