Author Topic: Another lock rebuild  (Read 7907 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Another lock rebuild
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »
Here's a lock presented by Robert Roller.  He's put his guts into a Chambers' Late Ketland.  I hope he'll join in here and discuss the lock.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:30:04 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Another lock rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
Taylor, did you say you were going to give me this lock? I think this is the one. It is, as a matter of fact. Thank you! I really appreciate your generosity.

Lovely work by Bob.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »
Here's a lock presented by Robert Roller.  He's put his guts into a Chambers' Late Ketland.  I hope he'll join in here and discuss the lock.

Not a lot to say here other than the elegant style of the Chambers Late Ketland is a nice lock to work with.
 This one belongs to a man in Alabama. Next project are three Durs Egg flintlocks for another man in Virginia.
I won the bonehead trophy on these. I mistakenly stored the parts in an area under my milling machine that is normally reserved for long term projects going to Germany on an "as I feel like it" agreement. The Virginian's locks have been in with the German stuff since January 2014. I clled the Virginian and told him what had happened and he wasn't worried or mad about it and said "It happens"don't worry.
Anyhow,thanks to our lovely friend Sylvia Thompson for taking these pictures and to Taylor for posting them
Sylvia became another lovely widow last week and we have known her and her husband Larry for nearly 40 years.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »

One more thing for the man who didn't seem to know what a link was in a lock. Look at this picture. One end of the link/stirrup, Kette* is holding the mainspring and the other is held by a small screw to the arm of the tumbler.

Bob Roller
*Kette,German term for a chain
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:22:26 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
Like a short-throw wheel lock mechanism. :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
 OK, I'm going to play the "Dummy" for everyone.
 Bob, please explain the differences and advantages, mechanical or aesthetic, between the parts Chambers originally supplied with this lock and the parts (and Tuning?) that you supplied. ???
 Thanks in advance.
Okieboy

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »
 Bob, please explain the differences and advantages, mechanical or aesthetic, between the parts Chambers originally supplied with this lock and the parts (and Tuning?) that you supplied. ???
 Thanks in advance.

Bob handled one.....

Barbie handled the other one........... :D :D :D

you can get a short block 327 from Auto parts store....or you can get a Blueprinted short block from a hot-rod shop............ ;D

marc n tomtom

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
Oakie
The difference I'll let Bob explain but if you ever handle and shoot one Bob's locks you'll know the difference. By the way I think that lock is destined to come here. Tim Cosby

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
 Thanks in advance.

Another name for the link/stirrup came from the English. They called it an anti friction swivel.
A look at the mechanical function of the swivel vs the old style where the mainspring bears on
a ramp is that fast action is available with less lift/compression of the mainspring when the lock
goes to full cocked.I do little "tuning"to these locks after they are done. This particular one only required a slight relieving of mainspring tension by a few file strokes on the upper limb retaining stud where it goes
under the bolster.It is smooth,fast,produces good sparks and has zero over travel. When it clicks the second time it's ready to go.
I am convinced that a good forged spring has a whipping action that isn't obtainable with a cast spring.
Also I do not worry about production or expedients to get done in a hurry.Production work is fine and without it none of us would have much of anything but I have done it in other venues and it holds no interest for me.
The job in my shop is done when it's done,not before.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
Oakie
The difference I'll let Bob explain but if you ever handle and shoot one Bob's locks you'll know the difference. By the way I think that lock is destined to come here. Tim Cosby

Tim,
You're right.I'll point it South when the MO gets here.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
 Thanks in advance.

Bob handled one.....

Barbie handled the other one........... :D :D :D

you can get a short block 327 from Auto parts store....or you can get a Blueprinted short block from a hot-rod shop............ ;D

marc n tomtom

Barbie is MUCH better looking than me and the locks she and Jim put out are good locks and I would never reject a rifle or pistol that had one on it. I have a high regard and respect for them and their products and have helped them sell a couple of locks recently to replace a pair missing from an American double rifle.

Bob Roller

kaintuck

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 11:22:40 PM »
ahhh bob....don't feel TO bad......I heard if you just turn out the lights, your looks improve~~~ :D

I get all my locks from Jim and Barbie...that Germanic brass one I just got is nice~
Then ol Tip Cutis likes his builders too....but I'm not sure where he gets his......but he shows me them everytime I'm up there~ has a pretty good inventory.

;D
marc n tomtom

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
I too am a fan of the locks Chambers turns out. All of my guns built in the recent past have their locks on them. I am personal friends with some of the people that assemble Chambers lock. They produce a great product. The rifle recently posted on contemporary rifles on this site  built for me by Brian Barker has one of Chambers locks on it. Works great. Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 12:18:17 AM »
Nice guts Bob. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
Nice looking lock Bob. I like the changes you have made concerning the stirrup and springs. Do you modify the stock tumbler or replace it, same question for the fly?
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
Nice looking lock Bob. I like the changes you have made concerning the stirrup and springs. Do you modify the stock tumbler or replace it, same question for the fly?

That mechanism is one I developed FOR the Chambers late Ketland and probably will work in the L&R Durs Egg and others yet to be determined. ALL of the parts you see are made by me including the screws.There are NO cast parts in these mechanisms.

Bob Roller

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
Thanks Bob, I thought that was the case. Very nice work.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline EC121

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
I know it will work in a Durs Egg.  I just bought a lefthanded Durs Egg with the Roller internal mods from Sqrldog .
Brice Stultz

Offline whitebear

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 04:57:11 AM »
Outstanding work Bob.  I wish that I could afford that.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot