Author Topic: Cutting stock blanks  (Read 12443 times)

Offline davebozell

Re: Cutting stock blanks
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »
I have a 32 year old Craftsman like the one pictured above.  Luckily there's not a whole lot to wear out on these saws.   A couple years ago I did have to replace the lower shaft and bearings, but those are still available from Craftsman, believe it or not. 

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 06:11:44 AM »
Here is my preferred method.... I have about 30 bucks in these two saws.   :D

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
Just like the first picture in the previous post, I used a hand saw, and also hammer and chisels.  A froe would work as well.  (For the forearm) Cut some relief cuts about every six inches and then knock the big stuf off with the hammer and chisel, and dress it up with a rasp.  It can save some time. .  Not for the faint of heart or an expensive piece of wood!!!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 06:30:24 AM »
Curtis, you pretty much nailed what I use. Like I said in my first post, it really doesn't take a long time to make the cuts. 

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »
I really like the large frame saw. 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
The frame saw is easy to make. Mine is made using a "buck" saw blade …called a "swede" saw here, and the hook ends I took out of a turnbuckle.   My blade is only 20 inches , but this gives good control , since I'm not cutting overly thick planks.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 05:41:06 PM »
I really like the large frame saw. 

I was getting ready to build myself a frame saw, then came across this one at a swap meet. I jumped on it for $15!!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing