Author Topic: sometimes you need to pay attention  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
sometimes you need to pay attention
« on: June 10, 2015, 02:16:00 AM »
keeping in mind I don't really know to much about these things........I'm taking the lock apart to get things ready for inletting it.Figure how hard can it be?usually pretty good about just charging in ànd remembering how it goes back together later.Not to sure this time,start pulling it apart and all of a sudden there's this tiny little part laying on the table.Who might you be and where did you come from?fly detent huh???wouldn't figured a part that looked more like something from a watch would be in a primitive lead ball throwing device.Any past threads about putting these things back together with pics if I can't figure it out?L&R has a diagram but its really no help although the part about remember which way the flys bevel goes gave me a chuckle, dummy!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: sometimes you need to pay attention
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:27:54 AM »
If this is one of those flat flies that you can install either way:

without any springs installed, put the sear in the plate with its screw. No bridle needed at this point. Then put the fly in the tumbler and set assembly in the lock plate.

Put a little pressure on the sear tail, and slowly rotate the tumbler back, like it's being cocked. The fly should be under the sear nose until the tumbler gets to full cock position, when it should pop out ahead of the sear nose. Rotate the tumbler slowly to the down position, and the fly will make the sear nose ride up over the half cock notch.

If the fly does not operate properly, flip it over and run the test again.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.