Author Topic: Does anyone test fire completed builds??  (Read 11337 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Does anyone test fire completed builds??
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
Who got Mike Brooks all wound up?

Oh, nevermind, he did it to himself.

I do fire all the guns I make, but I don't proof load them. I make sure touch hole and lock function is correct and speedy, and that the sights get the ball somewhere on the paper. But I don't go through the process of working up a load, finding just the right powder grain and load, patch thickness, lube, etc. I still haven't figured that out on my personal range rifle.   :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
I get you Mike Brooks.  Yes, two different things functionality and regulation. 

And work is for pay.  Fine points you clear up. 

now back to that bench.  ;D

Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »
I test fire and sight in at 25yds.
  I test fire and insure its on paper, center windage and sooting low so front sight can be filed down for new owners eyes/DESIRES.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
OK, I'll unwind. ;) After some contemplation I'll just consider this a moot point. I have been doing business full time this way for 19 years and none of this has been an issue with my customers except one. Besides, retirement is almost exactly 4 years away and I already have 1 1/2 years of orders booked, not many more to build.
 Then I may go do something where I can actually make a descent living like the rest of you. ;D......or I may reinvent the wheel...who knows.... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 03:19:19 AM »
I do it like Dennis.  Get it centered and low on the target so the front sight can be filed to dial it in.

PKLeRay

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
I see i kicked a hornets nest on this one. Sorry guys!! I was asking if it is a good practice to test fire a new build, just to check the timing etc. Insuring that the customer gets a fast gun.

Offline cmac

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
I generally fire a new build 3 times just for the heck of it. I leave the sights alone as the shooter/owner may have a different load in mind, different eyes, hold, etc.  I know from working with the lock and everything else over the course of the build that function is okay. So it really is just for the fun of it. This also gives me a chance to show the work to my father and do some shooting with him(normally where I go to shoot) before the piece leaves to meet the owner

Offline EC121

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »
I could see a couple of rounds to verify the barrel isn't bent.  After that I'll sight in my own equipment.
Brice Stultz

ddoyle

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »

Best to visually confirm the barrel is not bent before building. A piece of opaque tape over the muzzle with a ring scribed in it will allow you to view the concentricity (sp) of the rings reflected in the bore.  Probably find alot of bent barrels doing this. Allows you to orientate the bend so it points in a useable direction. i.e not left/right. Historically barrels were inspected between each milling operation and the "barrel straightening guy" was kept super busy. He was the difference between profit and bankruptcy.