Author Topic: Crack repair on Pedersoli Help Needed  (Read 4623 times)

Roundball777

Crack repair on Pedersoli Help Needed
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:16:37 AM »
Here are 2 photos of a crack on my Pedersoli .50 Sadly it has only been fired 60 times using 40gr on targets at the range.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128097439@N05/

What can I do to fix this or stop it from spreading?
It is raised up enough to feel it but I have no idea how deep it goes ect.
Details appreciated as I have never had a stock crack before.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:32:21 AM by Roundball777 »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Crack repair on Pedersoli Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:31:57 AM »
You can inject glue into the crack and use surgical tubing to clamp it.   I am surprised that it did that at such with such a light load.  Are you sure it is just from recoil?

Coryjoe

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:23:25 AM »
A very unusual crack. Expect them to be along the grain vs across it.

Cyanoacrlylate is the way to go

Drilling a tiny hole at each end of the crack will usually stop them.

Looks to me like the inletting at the rear of the lock was too tight. May have cracked when lockscrews were tightened or the wood swelled from humidity. I'd use an xacto knife to carefully relieve the wood at the rear of the lock to get rid of any wedging force (perpendicular to the crack)

You can fill cracks and the tiny end holes with Minwax shellac sticks from home depot. They usually match well enough.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
For a crack like that, on that gun, I'd just use ultra-thin C.A.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »
I agree that the inlet had to be too tight and/or the wood too soft, relief should be added-sparingly.  And glue it up with CA and don't look back.

Cheers
Hold to the Wind

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
It is quite possible that the crack is caused by the barrel bearing against the rear lock bolt. This will transfer recoil impact to the bolt and lock plate, especially so if the barrel is not bedded well. Make sure you have clearance in this area or you will have a recurring problem with cracks. It is not unusual to find old rifles with cracks from the lock bolt going to the rear.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
Rather than "just" wrapping the stock after gluing, I would pull the triggers and put a couple of screws through the trigger mortice and draw the crack closed. The trigger plate will cover the screw heads.
Mark
Mark

Roundball777

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
It is quite possible that the crack is caused by the barrel bearing against the rear lock bolt. This will transfer recoil impact to the bolt and lock plate, especially so if the barrel is not bedded well. Make sure you have clearance in this area or you will have a recurring problem with cracks. It is not unusual to find old rifles with cracks from the lock bolt going to the rear.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
This lock has one bolt through the center but I do see how it could put pressure as well as the lock fitting in so snug.

I am having trouble finding a CA that is labeled as "thin" so it spreads into the crack.
Hobby Lobby shows this and the reviewer liked it for wood but is there something else I should look into that is more proven?
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/1-ounce-extreme-power-thin-adhesive-238162/#tab-reviews
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:20:11 AM by Roundball777 »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
What Pete G said!

Your rear lock bolt is being contacted by the barrel as it recoils in the stock. You'll need to relieve that hole to prevent it from continuing to happen.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:32:26 AM »
Smallpatch=- there is NO rear lock bolt, however the back of the breech-plug could be contacting lock bolt.

For a minor crack like that, ultra-thin CA is the glue to use - or to check-drill holes and inject the very thin brand of liquid Acra-Glass from Brownells. I repaired a similar crack on my 14 bore rifle some years ago with ultra-thin CA and it is still repaired to this day and I do not shoot less than 82gr. 2f in that rifle, and commonly with longer range targets, the loads are 140gr. to 165gr. 2F.  I suspect 140gr. 1 1/2 Swiss should duplicate my old 165gr. charge, and will try that at some point.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:37:45 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline FDR

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:06:22 AM »
Here is where I get my CA.  They have thin.
http://www.caglue.com/CA-Glue_c_10.html

Woodcraft also has thin.

Fred