Author Topic: Card Scraper Maintenance and sharpening revisited  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Card Scraper Maintenance and sharpening revisited
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:01:28 AM »
I know that this subject has been touched on from time to time in the past, however I stumbled across a sight today covers the sharpening and tuning in an easy to follow format.  I though it would be good for any one not yet familiar with scrapers as well as a review for the more experienced.  Here is a link:

http://www.wood-w.com/lessonsguides/lessonsguides-mastering-the-card-scraper.html

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Card Scraper Maintenance and sharpening revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:37:51 AM »
Thanks, this might be a good thing to have in the tutorial area where it could be easily located in the future.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:02:30 AM »
Great link.  I use scrapers with burrs for heavy stock removal and figuring out the grain.  When it comes time for the light finish scraping I forgo the burr and scrap using square edges.  I end up with a lot less catches and tear out on hard figured maple, especially stump cut.
David   

andy49

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Great  tutorial .
Andy

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
The info is pretty much all there, although the sequence of the article puzzles me a little. The advice about the refrigeerator magnet is a good one, something I've done for a long time. A scraper can get DANG hot in use. Grab the freeby advertising magnets, the ones about the size of business cards. Stuck where your thumbs apply pressure to curve the plate, they do a good job. I keep a half-dozen scrapers going so i can keep working as they dull or heat up. It's easy enough to "sharpen" the whole batch when necessary.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
Scrapers also work well on those brass castings that start off so ugly. They are the only way that I know of to get the concave surface on the inside of the trigger bow.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »
Good stuff!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming