Author Topic: project about done  (Read 4261 times)

dmb25

project about done
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:17:53 AM »
Back in April I asked you some of you about drilling ramrod holes
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34894.new;topicseen#new well that gun is now about done 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: project about done
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
Hi David,

Looks like you are making good progress.  If I may make a few suggestions.  You may want to thin the top and bottom of the lock panel, leave the "nose" and "tail" of the lock panel the same length, but make the nose more rounded and blend it in with the thinner lock panel top and bottom.  Leave the tail pointed.  Also, it may just be the camera angle, but the barrel and ramrod look like they are set in pretty deep.  You want to see at least half of the side flat of the barrel and at least half of the ramrod.  Actually, showing a little more than half of the barrel and RR is good.  I can't tell from the pictures, how wide is the wood on either side of the barrel.  It looks like you could thin that down some and make the sides of the forearm and front of the stock more rounded. 

Regarding wood on a longrifle, less is more.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:49:09 AM »
David,  The rifle is looking good.  I applaud your courage in carving the stock.  It took me many years to make the plunge and attempt carving a longrifle.  Keep up the good work.  I do want to see the finished rifle when you are done.

Frog
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:34 AM »
David,

Great start!! now take Ron's advice to heart and you can make this into a very fine first rifle. Please show us more pictures as you go. Ask all the questions you want. Generally if you can ask specific questions or just for feedback about what you plan to do or have already done people will give you more help than you may want, but its cause they love the guns and know what it is like to make one they are proud to own and shoot. As you know the experts are here so ask away.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
Guys,

One thing that I like to do is to drill a small hole directly down through the barrel channel just about at the very breech end of the barrel.  The hole comes through in the forward extension of the trigger guard inlet.  Now you can check to see how much wood is between the end of the ramrod hole and the lower surface of the forearm.  You really only need about 1/10 inch or even less here.  Looking at the photos, it appears that there is a lot of wood below the lock and above the triggerguard.  If you use this "locator hole" it is possible to slim down the forestock quite a bit resulting in a much slimmer profile.

Look at this photo of the gunlock area, see how little wood is below the lock and above the trigger guard?

Jim

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:26:45 PM by James Wilson Everett »

dmb25

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
thanks for all the advice (this is actually my seconded gun but my first one was a kit) I will be bringing my gun and possibly but entering it at Dixons if ya guys one to see it finished 

dmb25

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:24 PM »
well I shot it today