Author Topic: Roman nose  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Roman nose
« on: June 15, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »
I had the notion to build my next rifle in the style of J. W. Rinehart or one of those obscure NC rifles with a roman nose. I have access to a few originals. I traced one onto plywood and took some measurements. 12 3/8" LOP, 5 1/2" drop at heel. It has one of those small, narrow sort of crescent shaped (pointy) butt plates. When I shoulder this gun, the top of the buttplate wants to poke into my shoulder. I have to  consciously extend it outward and lower it onto my arm. But when I do this, the top of the barrel is perfectly in line with my eye. It's the most uncomfortable gun to mount, but the most effortless to aim that I've ever felt. I believe it also has "negative pitch". If you rest the butt on the floor, the barrel sticks out almost 45 degrees.
Comments? Insight? Thanks in advance.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
Re: Roman nose
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »
Rifles shaped like that, with heavily crescent shaped butt plates are meant to be fired off the upper end of your arm moreso than the flat of your shoulder, and as you say, that's the way it lines up.  Unless your particular body shape makes it work better to fire it off somewhere else, in which case do that.  Notice below...

http://paleoporch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/800px-George_Caleb_Bingham_Shooting_for_the_Beef.jpg

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 03:25:56 PM »
My experience in building and shooting the SMR style rifles is that the narrow crescent butt plate should rest at the juncture of the shoulder and the arm. Not on the shoulder nor further out the bicep. Otherwise, as you say, it will sharply dig into the shoulder or if it is positioned too far out the upper arm it won't point worth a darn and is uncomfortable. I think the trick is to find that sweet spot at the junction and go with it. I find that position quite natural and comfortable and that when you raise the rifle it is invariably on target.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
Perhaps lengthening the LOP will make it easier for you to shoot from the upper arm.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Even with the 'shoulder/bicep pocket' hold, much depends on the size of that 'joint'- or rather how much meat is on that shoulder.  The upper point of some narrow butts still digs in.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Let me try to clarify. Once the gun is mounted, it's perfectly comfortable and my eye lines up with the top of the barrel. It's while mounting the gun that the top of the crescent of the butt catches and pokes into my arm. Instead of raising the gun and pulling it back into position, you have to push it forward, up, and lower it onto your arm. It's just strange and unnatural for me. My Tenn rifle has a longer LOP, a bigger crescent butt and it's not a problem at all.
I think it's just too subjective to come to any sort of conclusion. I guess I was hoping to hear advice like, "Yeah, those rifles are cool looking but they'll kick the snot out of you. Don't build one!"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:28:46 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper