Author Topic: metal parts  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
metal parts
« on: June 15, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
question,draw filled barrel and bevel on other metal parts for inletting and pre finish and am having tough time keeping parts from surface rusting.Been using bichwood Casey barricade spray and when pulling parts next day I end up with same black/brown patina.Only good thing it tells me where parts need better attention to detail.Any better things to do prevent this?when case Harding will this help when the time comes and wanted to do some sort of grey finish to the barrel.I don't want a rust brown finish and surly don't want to pack her away in cosmoline during the off time(a little humor).

Offline KLMoors

Re: metal parts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »
I use CLP oil and don't have any trouble with things rusting that quick. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »
I think the rusting is caused by the acid in your hands. Know of a couple of toolmakers that had acidic hands and every steel item they touched rusted. Quite an inconvenience for a toolmaker. CLP might work if the metal is immediately wiped down to rid the metal surfaces of your hand marks....Fred  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:16:45 PM by flehto »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
that's the weird part after  I was done I handled the parts with a rag then sprayed the barricade on and wiped off the excess and put them away.Been a little humid around here but with the air conditioner on?????

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 05:44:18 PM »
If it is just light surface rusting that you can easily knock off with some 320 grit emory cloth or a Scotch Brite pad, then I wouln't worry about it.   If rusting is a real problem, then I would put a coat of wax on the metal.   I use Renaissance Wax on guns, but I put Johnson Paste Wax on my cast iron tool tables/beds.   My barrels always rust, but nothing that a little 320 grit paper wont' quickly take off for finishing.  Of course,  I usually am rusting my parts as part of their finishing anyway. 

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »
good point Mark it is only light surface rust and 320 grit would do the trick.I guess my biggest worry is I was hoping not to use a lot of oil,ect that might keep going from handling of metal and possibly getting on to the unfinished wood and possibly staining it.Everything metal will still be getting a good going over with up to 320 or so grit before finale finish anyway,Joe

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
If your barrel is rusting on the outside don't forget to check the bore often also.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:58:56 PM by Pete G. »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
I too live in a high humidity state. Georgia. Here is an old woodworkers trick for applying a thin coat of oil to metal which works for me.

It is just a worn out towel cut to size, rolled, and then inserted into a small can. You then add oil, in this case 3-in-1 oil - but only enough to produce a very thin oil coating. I coat barrels, locks, plane soles, machine tops and the like with the oil, it is quick and easy and I have had zero trouble with rust. Generally I leave my tools and gun parts in the shop all year, even finished guns. About (more or less) once a month I go over them with the Rag Can.

Others mentioned your possibly being one of those who naturally have a higher acid "fingerprint," this is likely so handle the metal with a clean rag or gloves while oiling.

dave
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:59:02 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 09:53:07 PM »
I'm one of the guys that has acidic hands that rusts everything. This towel idea is great. I'm going to make one for hand tools, one for guns, one for my lathe...

How do you keep files from rusting?  I've found that oiling a nice file may keep it from rusting but getting the oil off when you want to work with it is a pain.

Keith

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
Chalk helps
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
How do you keep files from rusting?  I've found that oiling a nice file may keep it from rusting but getting the oil off when you want to work with it is a pain.

Keith

Spray the files with WD-40. It won't make them slick or gummy like oil will and it keeps the rust at bay. You do have to repeat the coating after each use. Storing the files in a drawer with desiccant packs in it helps a lot.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?