Author Topic: A peep site for retinopathy?  (Read 3391 times)

PKLeRay

A peep site for retinopathy?
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
My dad has retinopathy in his right eye and still builds firelocks, but has shyed away from shooting open sights. The retinopathy is basically scar tissue in the eye causing a dead spot when trying to look at open sights. Anyone ever heard of using a peep sight for this to trick the eye? Was a common for poor eyesight?

Online smokinbuck

Re: A peep site for retinopathy?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »
I have several blank (blind) spots in my right eye from macular degeneration. I don't know if it's the same thing as your Dad has but it has played $#*! with shooting. The left upper quadrant of circles is gone as well as various other locations. Neither open or peep sights have helped and I have been shooting lefty for about 10 years. I even put mirrors on a rifle that allowed me to shoot right handed with my left eye. I wish him good luck in his search.
Mark
Mark

PKLeRay

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »
Thanks. We were wondering if there was some sort of remedy for this. He really wants to hunt again with a flintlock w/open sights. He tried shooting lefty but was all thumbs

leadslinger62

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:16:58 PM »
  Tell Him to keep trying the Lefty thing !! I lost vision in My right Eye and quit shooting for a Year or so. Finally bought Myself a couple cases of.22 Shells and an open sighted .22 and had at it. Now, it is second nature. Good luck.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:54:31 AM »
Tell you dad to keep at it with the left hand shooting. After a while it will get more natural feeling.
Psalms 144

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:18 AM »
My dad had a detached right retina (& 1970's surgical repair) and had to switch to lefty. He trained himself to shoot left eyed by shooting trap with a piece of tape over his right shooting glass lens. No problem getting back to his old scores

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
Track of the Wolf has a Primitive style sight they sell that has a peep in it. the stock # is RS-CA-peep-16 priced at $7.99 this might wook for him.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »
 I do not know what would work for your dad, but an aperture makes sense because you don't look at it, but look through it allowing the eye to naturally center the front sight.
 It would be very easy to test. Drill a hole (I would start with 1/4" even though it sounds large) through a piece of scrap steel about 1/2" x 3", bend an angle in it and duct tape it to the wrist of a rifle. Make it tall enough that it doesn't interfere with an current rear sight. Large hole far back would seem the sensible way to go.
 I wish your dad success and would like to hear what you and he work out.
Okieboy