Author Topic: Lefty Transitional Flintlock  (Read 3430 times)

Offline cmac

Lefty Transitional Flintlock
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:58:29 AM »
Looking for a left hand transitional flintlock for an Edward Marshall rifle I'm going to be making. What are the options other than Chamber's gunmaker's lock and a bunch of shaping/filing? Needs to be a top quality lock

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: Lefty Transitional Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
I'm left hand and I've been looking high and low for lefthanded locks. The only options I know of are:

Chambers left hand siler and gunmaker kit
L&R locks
R.E.Dav  Hawken lock

The amount of shaping that can be done on a gunmaker kit is limited by the placement of the tumbler hole in relation to the frizzen. You can not make a banana shaped lock out of it

I made these two banana shaped bridelless pistol locks using the guts, hammer, pan and frizzen from a small siler lock and making a new lockplate.
To get the banana shape, the tumbler hole had to be lowerd in relation to the frizzen.

To lower the tumbler hole, use a compass to measure the distance from the middle of the tumbler hole to the frizzen screw. Place one compass leg on the frissen screw and draw an arc on the lock plate. The center of the new tumbler hole has to lay on this arc. Lowering the tumbler hole will require adjusting the, frizzen toe, cock shoulder, mainspring hook(that rests on the tumbler) and the tumbler beak(where the mainspring touches the tumbler).

I've test fired the locks with powder and they work fine. It's surprising how far it's possible to lower the tumbler hole without messing up the locks function.
It should be possible to this with parts from a large lefthand siler.

Best regards
Rolf

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
Could you just make the plate any shape, but keep the holes and parts in the same position?
It would be little bigger than needed....but the outline would be banana ..?

Marc n tomtom

Offline cmac

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
Nice work Rolf. Thanks for the info.
I wonder how many locks Chamber's or Davis would like to have on order to to get even a limited run on? Maybe worth a few phone calls. I know I have modified up a few and I'm sure there is a market for these and a few other lefty locks. Even if the cost where greater, most customers that I've had would be willing to pay the extra to get a good correct lock

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »
I believe the cock would appear too high on the plate. Is that the main reason you lowered it Rolf?

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
I believe the cock would appear too high on the plate. Is that the main reason you lowered it Rolf?

That's correct. Also lowering the tumbler hole allowes lowering the top edge of the lock plate.  That has to be done or the lock wil look lopsided.

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:00:28 PM by Rolf »

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:41:09 AM »
FWIW when searching for a long (6") left hand lock to make my Fusil de Chasse of the fisherman contract from Tulle, i.e.,, flat-faced , faceted pan lock, there wasn't anything suitable or that big in LH. I ended up buying a LH Caywood trade lock and filed the face flat. I had to also file down the tumbler section where the cock sits, but it worked out great!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline cmac

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:05:22 AM »
Flint62, how is the spark, speed, etc.?