Author Topic: Stuck Screw  (Read 4414 times)

Offline WKevinD

Stuck Screw
« on: July 01, 2015, 10:52:43 PM »
I just ran into a problem I have never had before.
I have a Chambers Rnd Face English with Brass plate I've used plenty of Jim's standard round faced locks but this is the first brass (bronze) plate.
I have been trying to disassemble with no luck. Everything comes off as it is supposed to except the top bridal screw. The bridal and tumbler are loose and move (it is not snugged to the plate) once the sear screw is removed. The bridal screw moves with the bridal. It will not turn out! I managed to remove the hammer and can see the screw moving in the plate, and no, the screw end is not flush with the plate face. The screw is somehow locked into the bridal and all I have managed to do is bugger the screw head.
I have even managed to put a twist in one of my Brownell driver tips!
Any suggestions?
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

eddillon

Re: Stuck Screw
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:58:06 PM »
Call Jim.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »
Call Jim.

That was the first thing I did- no answer.

So I figured I'd go to the "been there done that" crowd before I ruin more than a screw head.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »
Usually a judicious application of heat will help break stuck things loose, although it might take a few cycles. Since it is a brand new lock I don't think that I would get any more aggressive than a heat gun and perhaps a generous spritz of a good penetrating lubricant.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »
I've used two of his bronze plate locks and not run into your problem. I think it's Liston Rice who assembles all Jim's bronze/brass locks. Call Jim again.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:13 AM »
It's galling between the screw shank and the bridle hole, send it back, they will fix it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 03:10:27 AM »
I've used two of his bronze plate locks and not run into your problem. I think it's Liston Rice who assembles all Jim's bronze/brass locks. Call Jim again.

I think its L. C. Rice, Liston, as far as I know, has never assembled locks. Liston is still helping Jason out with his barrel business whenever Jason needs help.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:22:15 AM »
I would suggest that you put it back together, pack it up, and call/e-mail Barbie.    Jim is trying to be retired.  They are often gone for a few days at a time for shows and the like.   Barbie will probably send another one right out if she has one.  I am sure it won't be a problem.    They are very good people.   

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 04:10:07 AM »
Thanks all! I was hoping there was a magic fix I just couldn't see thru my single minded fix it approach.
I'll try Barbie again in the AM.
I get focused on a task and the blinders go up! My wife says I put my Irish on, I really don't want to tell he she's right
so I'll move on to another item and leave this one alone, I hate getting beat by a screw!

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:52 AM »
Drill the head off the screw at the bridle and heat it up.   Add a little oil then pry the bridle off the screw shank.  Or just keep drilling with progressively larger bits.  The screws are standard sizes. 
Brice Stultz

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »
Thanks all! I was hoping there was a magic fix I just couldn't see thru my single minded fix it approach.
I'll try Barbie again in the AM.
I get focused on a task and the blinders go up! My wife says I put my Irish on, I really don't want to tell he she's right
so I'll move on to another item and leave this one alone, I hate getting beat by a screw!
The magic fix is o send it back ASAP - don't mess with it any more. The screw is galled into the bridle -- Too "GOOD" of a fit it was.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb