Author Topic: Desparate Times outfit  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Desparate Times outfit
« on: July 10, 2015, 11:20:48 PM »
I just wanted to say how much I liked the creativity of the that "Desperate Times" pouch and horn outfit made by Tim and T.C.  on the Contemporary Makers blog today.   It really got my attention because I have a knife very much like the one on the bag.   Mine is in my leather working kit and was made by my grandfather.   The knife itself, is some kind of cheap kitchen knife re-ground and re-purposed to cut leather.   It's sheath is a piece of folded over cardboard taped together with masking tape.   It is all yellow and brittle.   I am sure it is decades old.    I don't get rid of it because it has a real thin blade and cuts leather better than anything else I have.   I have also never seen fit to replace the cardboard sheath even though I have made any number of sheaths and cases with that knife.   I have also got a bunch of stamps made by my grandfather out of nails.   I still use those also.    Some things you never get rid of.     :)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Desparate Times outfit
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
I guess what I really should have said was that crude little knife brought back all sorts of good memories of my grandfather, my childhood, my childhood home, and lots of fun leather projects over the years.   It is funny how important such a simple little thing can be to someone.   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Desparate Times outfit
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 12:21:42 AM »
Thanks Mark...I appreciate the good words on the pouch and horn set...
Some of the simplest stuff can sometimes be pretty thought provoking too...
thanks again,
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com