Author Topic: Need advise on .58 cal percussion long rifle!!  (Read 9404 times)

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
Need advise on .58 cal percussion long rifle!!
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »
I have a friend that wants a .58 cal longrifle caplock. It'll be a target rifle shot from the standing position. They won't budge on the caliber. What style of rifle would accommodate a .58? He also wants the barrel to be long like a 42". I shoot a 36" .54 straight barreled Virgina/ transitional rifle. I can't imagine the barrel being any longer. How would a barrel that long balance in a .58? I know swamped is an option.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Need advise on .58 cal percussion long rifle!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
a Leman full stock would seem to be appropriate and look good in that caliber and as a cap lock. A Tennessee style long rifle in cap lock would also do fine maybe. a .58 should be a bit lighter than a 54 right? lots of originals were quite heavy.
Galations 2:20

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
Lancaster - Marshal would be perfect - Dickert - for a .58 - should have a flat butt plate.  Hooks can be painful if you are a bit beefy.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »
American : pre-rev. war style.  English: gents sporting rifle--almost identical to a fowler flat butt plate etc, but rifled.  2 cents worth of advice...Tom

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
 Teach the guy a lesson and do whatever he wants but get it in writing and with a signature.
 A swamped barrel wouldn't be too bad.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
flat butt plate-- good idea… I have a Chambers English Short rifle in .58 and it does not recoil that bad at all. the barrel is only 31" swamped, and I find it is almost too light-- I added a brass ramrod and it holds better.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
We're there many lancaster dickert  or Marshalls in percussion?

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13:18 PM »
Many Dickert rifles were converted to percussion and that would be a good route to go.  Another choice would be a Hawken style if you can find a wider butt plate.  I got one from Tip Curtis which had the same curvature as a Hawhen but was a full 1 1/2 inch wide, not as sharp a crescent, and it's a comfortable rifle in .54 cal with full loads.  A tapered barrel 1 1/8 to 1  inch would be appropriate, though the 42 inch length is longer than typical but not unheard of.  with full loads in .58 cal, weight is your friend.  I would want at least 10 to 11 pounds.

Offline olsplntr

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 01:25:17 AM »
There was a trick shot fella from Maine that was on the Outdoor Channel that shot a .58 Pennsylvania rifle made for him by Charlie Wallingford.  If he's still around check with Charlie.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 04:49:40 AM »
Personal opinion? For target shooting offhand, I'd go with a 'D' weight or 'C' at the lightest. 42". Fully swamped. Double set triggers.

There are so many styles you can build. The Lancaster is hard to beat for comfort. I'd avoid high Roman nose stocks that can bang you in the cheek.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »
There was a trick shot fella from Maine that was on the Outdoor Channel that shot a .58 Pennsylvania rifle made for him by Charlie Wallingford.  If he's still around check with Charlie.

That gentleman is George Sutton (Mr. Flintlock) who is an active member of this forum who goes by the name of Centershot here.  George is the producer of the patch lube called, quite appropriately, Mr. Flintlock Lube http://www.mrflintlock.com/.  If you think that's a shameless plug, your're right  ;) because I like many think this is an outstanding product.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the help! I need to set down with my friend and discuss all these great ideas.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
If he prefers a later time period consider one of the English or American trade rifles of the fur trade era converted to percussion. Usually stout sturdy pieces. The English pattern or the scroll guard might work well. No off the shelf kits or parts sets though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:32:53 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »
Most Tennessee rifles ere of small caliber.  I think the deeply curved buttplate common to that style would be terribly painful to shoot with a bore that large.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 03:52:13 PM »
Since he wants a caplock, it sort of limits the style.  I would recommend a full stock Hawken or a Leman as suggested above.  I built one of from available parts when I started building again after I retired.  I used a Green Mountain straight octagon barrel.  It came out in a fowler style with an L&R Queen Anne lock.  It is accurate enough but is really muzzle heavy.  For shooting comfort I prefer my Isaac Haines or the southern rifle I'm shooting now.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
I have a friend that wants a .58 cal longrifle caplock. It'll be a target rifle shot from the standing position. They won't budge on the caliber. What style of rifle would accommodate a .58? He also wants the barrel to be long like a 42". I shoot a 36" .54 straight barreled Virgina/ transitional rifle. I can't imagine the barrel being any longer. How would a barrel that long balance in a .58? I know swamped is an option.

For a percussion era rifle in 58?  An English sporting rifle.
A 58 can sometimes require a lot of powder to shoot well so the stock needs to be recoil tolerant. The American choice would be something like RCA #48. Or other stock design with a comb line close to parallel with the bore. A 58 is a poor choice forr a MATCH rifle due to the heavy recoil impulse. Heavy recoil impulse in any firearm adversely effects the shooters ability to place the shot. This is due to ANY variation in holding or mounting the rifle to the shoulder will cause a variation in the movement of the rifle BEFORE the projectile clears the muzzle. The lower the velocity, the longer the barrel time the more apparent this becomes.
For an offhand rifle a long barreled 45-50 cal would be a better choice.
Balance? In a long rifle?  Its going to be an offhand rifle its not supposed tp balance like a shotgun which has a far different intended purpose. The long barrel dampens  the "wobble" and aids in accuracy. The longer sight radius reduces sighting errors.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
a Leman full stock would seem to be appropriate and look good in that caliber and as a cap lock. A Tennessee style long rifle in cap lock would also do fine maybe. a .58 should be a bit lighter than a 54 right? lots of originals were quite heavy.

If you shoot a Leman in 58 a few times you will change your mind. The squirrel rifle buttstock is not even suitable for a 50-54.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
i have several large calibers, one is a Southern Mtn Rifle in 54 Cal. it will punish you with that curved butt plate shooting targets. i recommend staying with a Virginia Style flat butt plate on those large calibers.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
My Lancaster is a .58.  It's a dream to shoot.  44" barrel.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Mike R

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
Most Tennessee rifles ere of small caliber.  I think the deeply curved buttplate common to that style would be terribly painful to shoot with a bore that large.

I have seen photos of a couple of antique .58 Tenn rifles--bear rifles.  Remember the Hawkens had curved buttplates reminiscent of Tenn styles and bigbores were common.  I made a .58 Hawken with a curved buttplate and it did not "kick" all that much--it was not uncomfortable to shoot with over 100grs ffg....I did not try really heavy loads, though....

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
My TN is 54/C42" and is absolutely no problem with the moderately crescent plate.  Even that time I double powdered it, I got a good shove but no "punctures".  ;) 

You have to know how to hold it, that's all.

But true (er) to the general "bulk" of originals, I'll likely not go over 45 cal in a TN again.  Has nothing to do with buttplate shape. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »

Ezra is that a swamped barrel on your lancaster?

Offline Ezra

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »

Ezra is that a swamped barrel on your lancaster?

Yup, it was made from a Chambers Lancaster kit.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"