Author Topic: Hunting Frock Material  (Read 9367 times)

patiodadio

Hunting Frock Material
« on: June 25, 2015, 05:12:14 AM »
I have a pattern for a hunting frock coat. What material should I use, Linen or cotton canvas or something else ?
A friend has a nice one made from Chambray.

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Hunting Frock Material
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:38:24 AM »
I made one from wool broad cloth for cooler weather of course. Made the fringe from linen.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »
I have a pattern for a hunting frock coat. What material should I use, Linen or cotton canvas or something else ?
A friend has a nice one made from Chambray.

I bought some heavy duty linen from JoAnns and had a local seamtress make mine from a pattern. She only charged me $75.00 to make it. Then I bought a couple of packets of dark brown Rit dye and dyed it in a cooler, looks very nice, she did a great job, unfortunately I live in near Mobile, Al. and don't get to wear it much.

patiodadio

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, my daughter is gonna sew it for me. I will head to Joann to check out the Heavy Linen.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »
If you go to Jo Fab, you might need to head to the area where they sell art supplies. That's where I've found painter's canvas in the past. A little spendy, but it was 72" wide. Sometimes you can find painter's canvas dropcloths that are hemp canvas. Pretty rugged stuff at a decent price.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
I get my linen from Fabric-store... cheap and good stuff.  Make sure you wash it in hot water before you start sewing since it will shrink up a bit.

http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=fabricselector&menu=f&sstr=1&type=1&content=1

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »
I love my wool one for cold weather. I hand stitched the entire thing but the hardest part was frazzling (I don't know if that's a word) the linen fringe, I would give a strip of it to all the kids while they were watching tv and tried to get a little competition  going. I think I bought the material from Burnley and Trowbridge.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
I get my linen from Fabric-store... cheap and good stuff.  Make sure you wash it in hot water before you start sewing since it will shrink up a bit.

http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=fabricselector&menu=f&sstr=1&type=1&content=1

Good reminder, Chris. I learned to zig-zag the cut edges before washing.  :o

Wash hot, dry in dryer, press with steam iron. Working with linen is a little different.

patiodadio

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
Anyone have pictures of home made hunting frocks ?

patiodadio

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:51 AM »
Whoa ! Finally made it to Joann and the linen was $16.99 a yard ! Ouch ! After an online search I found some cotton duck at Joann for $7.00 a yard. Still looking.....

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »
I order from Burnley and Trowbridge in WmsBurg on line.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 04:53:33 PM »
Check with David and Renee Gillespie at http://www.pumpkintownprimitives.com/
I am not sure if they carry it in stock but I know that they have a good supplier for that material.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 05:53:28 PM »
I am sure you know but, some fabric stores sell linen that is only linen by the weave and it is really just cotton or a cotton blend and not made of flax. I did some looking around a while back for linen in some of the local fabric stores... it is a mite pricey.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »
Whoa ! Finally made it to Joann and the linen was $16.99 a yard ! Ouch ! After an online search I found some cotton duck at Joann for $7.00 a yard. Still looking.....

What was the width of the fabric? I bought some linen painter's canvas that was 72" (!) wide.  Another fabric to consider is canvas painter's dropcloths from Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Last time I bought one the tag on the edge said it was hemp, another HC fiber. Using hemp canvas you should wash in hot water with bleach about twice to clean and soften it. Makes good upholstery and drapes too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:16:59 PM by Kermit »

ddoyle

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
I'll second Mr Rase's choice with elaboration: Cotton/linen is fine if you are trying to replicate a poor man's band-aid solution to a need or if you are having it made for someone you do not love. Wet or immobilized by injury Cotton will kill you in a big hurry where wool will preserve life for days. Going hunting in cotton is like going boating with out a PFD many have pulled it off but you feel silly once your wet.

This post brought to you by the sheep shearer's union of NZ.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:10:51 PM by ddoyle »

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 04:20:53 AM »
I ordered linen from fabric-store.com & was happy with what I got.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:24:41 AM by Joe Schell »

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:03 PM »
Osnaburg Cloth makes a very nice Hunting Frock and is reasonably priced and easy to obtain.