Author Topic: V shaped fore stock...Nosecap  (Read 7530 times)

54ball

V shaped fore stock...Nosecap
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »
 My shop is coming back together after my basement flooded a while back so I'm back at my Mathew Gillespie.

I'm considering a V shaped upper forestock. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the nosecap on V shaped forestock.
 Does the nose cap continue the V?
 Is the nose cap grooved on the bottom if it continues the V?
 Is the nose cap round and the V shape begins with rails of the ramrod groove?

Sorry if this is just a basic question. The rifles I have studied have rounded forestocks and the photos of the V shaped riflers are not clear in that area.
 Thanks

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: V shaped fore stock...Nosecap
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:46:25 AM »
Dennis is going to be the final authority on this, but I have only ever seen one truely "V" shaped forearm and it was uncomfortable to hold.    I would just make the forearm a little more "V" than "U" and make the nose piece as you always do.   That is, swagged one piece if no groove  (although a two piece is probably more common on 19th century guns) and a two piece if grooved.    The nose piece should match the upper forearm.   Actually, on my rifles, the nose (before the nose piece is added) is the model for the profile of the rest of the upper forearm.  I try to make it perfect and then extend the shape down the forearm.   The nose piece should, ideally, look like a metal skin on the forearm with a smooth transition from wood to metal.   Usually,  it is not so smooth or perfect, but that is what you are shooting for.  ;

pushboater

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:02:53 AM »
This may help. This is the nose cap of a little Lehigh rifle I built a few years back. This style nose cap with the open end was used frequently on Lehigh rifles.

Capt. David

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 04:32:34 AM »
54ball,

PM sent.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

54ball

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:14 AM »
54ball,

PM sent.

Mole Eyes

Mole Eyes I did not get your message. You may want to try it again. 

54ball

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »
 Thanks Mark, pushboater and Mole Eyes.
 I have been studying rifles in the library and it seems there's many types of nose caps on V forestocked rifles.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:30 AM »
I have seen several Gillespie's with vee shaped forearms but for the life of me I can not remember how the nose cap was done. I remember that Earl Lannings Gillespie had a pewter replacement and part of it was gone. I think it followed the vee shape of the wood.

I think I would make a vee shaped cap with the rr groove underside then soft solder a front on it. I have made seversl like that and they are not hard to make and look good, IMHO.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:25:37 AM »
This may help. This is the nose cap of a little Lehigh rifle I built a few years back. This style nose cap with the open end was used frequently on Lehigh rifles.

Capt. David
Nice! I'm having V shaped forend envy. I find that shape incredibly hard to pull off after 30 years of trying to avoid it. :-[
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:12:59 AM »

It does look neat, and of course, it looks right on a Lehigh rifle, but I've never liked the grooved nosecap design.  It's harder to get the ramrod out (and harder to make and inlet the nosecap!  :D )  I forget if I put brass rivets in the sides of the nosecap, or rivets in the channel...
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
Here's a nose piece on a "V" shaped forend that is not quite as radically "V".  As the transition of the muzzle is reduced, I gently rounded the wood, and consequently, the nose piece too.  This one is a two piece cap, and it emulates the work of Jacob Kuntz.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:14:33 PM by Tim Crosby »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 10:37:48 PM »
Taylor, now,  that is a real work of art!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Wrapped too tight
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
Another hateful nosecap, this one is a full wrap, lapping in the barrel channel. I did this one, it took me about two days to do it. Now, if I had a master leaning over my shoulder, teaching me how to do this, I might be accomplish a nosecap in a couple of hours.

But why?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:15:00 PM by Tim Crosby »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »
And then, there is a tutorial for making a soldered closed-end cap. You can make the body suit a v-shape forestock.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24785.0
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 06:10:17 AM »
I am more interested in how you made the nose piece that was wrapped all the way around. Do tell.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
Here's a nose piece on a "V" shaped forend that is not quite as radically "V".  As the transition of the muzzle is reduced, I gently rounded the wood, and consequently, the nose piece too.  This one is a two piece cap, and it emulates the work of Jacob Kuntz.

A true Masterpiece in every sense of the word.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

54ball

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
 Thank you all for the input and the images of the beautiful rifles. It helps a lot.