Author Topic: First rifle from a plank……short jeager  (Read 4339 times)

Offline conquerordie

First rifle from a plank……short jeager
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:03 AM »
Hello all,

I've got up enough courage to post pics of my first rifle from a plank.  I've built two kits, and one blunderbuss that had the barrel and ramrod hole drilled.  So building one from scratch was next in line.  I choose a short barreled jeager as I've always wanted one, and the barrel came up for sale from Rice barrels back in January on this site, I grabbed it and started to work.  I'm open to constructive criticism as I want to improve wherever I can.  I know this style might not be everyone favorite, but I love these early guns!  This is a copy of a short barreled rifle from around 1700.  Inspiration came from an original on Hermann Historica. Thanks for looking

Conquerordie

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:43:19 PM by Chuck Burrows »

greybeard

Re: First rifle from a plank……short jeager
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:21 AM »
Now there is a rifle gun that well speak wirh a great deal of authority in the local ground hog population!!
    I like it very much.   Bob

Online Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:44:05 AM »
That looks like a very sweet handling rifle!  Very appealing form.  Looks like you did well with it from what I can see.  What caliber is she?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:32:51 AM »
Thank you. Its a 21.25 inch swamped barrel in .62 cal with 1/56" twist. Jason at Rice barrels says he copied directly from an original that was brought to him to copy. He says it'll be a shooter, obviously no 200 yard gun, but it's got a folding leaf sight, so I'll stretch it to 100.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:14:45 AM »
I for one think you done darn good on your first time around. keep at it.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

grouchy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
Looks great! I like  the idea inletting a short barrel the first time, maybe not swamped ::)  ned

Offline old george

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
Wow!!! That will knock the stuffing out of most things that go bump in the night ;D
Needless to say I like it.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:18 AM »
Thank you for the positive feedback. I plan on taking it to the range on Monday. Should be a good day!
Conqueordie

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:37 AM »
Looks good from here! Let us know how it shoots. My .62 has a bit more barrel but I enjoy shooting it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:24:52 AM »
I have always thought a rifle like this would be the perfect in-the-woods deer rifle.  I like it. What is the length of the trigger pull?
Mark Thomas

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:54:14 AM »
LOP is short like about 12". But shouldering it with the proper use of the triggerguard makes it comfortable. It's very wide in the butt and big cheekpiece. I got about 1/4" of cast off to help. When I originally drew it out I thought about stretching it to give it a longer pukk, but it just didn't look right. Changed the whole design of the gun, so I went with the original length