Author Topic: Adice Needed for warped pre curve stock  (Read 8614 times)

Billy52

Adice Needed for warped pre curve stock
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:43:58 PM »
Like the title says I have a warped pre carve stock.  The kit arrived a couple of days ago and everything looks great but I noticed that the fore stock has a warp in it. Check out the pictures.

I have had the barrel fully in the channel for a day and it seemed to straighten out a bit.
I was thinking about steaming the fore stock and then putting the barrel in it fore a few days and see if it straightens out.  Am i on the right track? I phoned the company who shipped it to me for some sort of input or direction , but they are out of town for the week. I think I can correct this, but I am very new to this so everything is uncharted ground. Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated.  
Cheers, Billy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:11:57 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline EC121

Re: Adice Needed for warped pre curve stock
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »
Put the barrel in the wood and leave it.  That thin wood will warp, and it also needs support from the barrel for preventing damage.  By the time you get done shaping it it will be even thinner and more easily broken.   
Brice Stultz

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:45 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it. Put the barrel in, tape it in place and leave it , it'll straighten back up. Precarves can warp pretty bad if they sit without a barrel in.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:14:26 AM »
What EC121 & Joe Schell say. What you have there isn't that bad. Anytime you have a stock that far along, in your case a pre-carve) the barrel needs to be always in the stock if you're not actively working with it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:16:16 AM »
Billy,

I agree with what the boys said above.  

The company who did your stock is probably getting set up at Dixon's about now.  They will be back next week.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Billy52

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »
Alright sounds good. And thanks for the advice!! I will put the barrel in it and tape it there…..see what happens.
Your time is appreciated.
…..Billy

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »
Billy - I'm just finishing up my first build.  I started with a rough precarve.  It moved all over the place on me over the last number of months as I worked on it.  As long as the barrel is pinned in, it's all good.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:39 AM »
sure seems these pre-carves give folks fits.Most of my fun comes on with the humidity. Had the barrel in the channel and it didn't want to come out.Turned it upside down and didn't want to move,was afraid to do anything for fear of a break or crack.After the drawfile of the barrel things are better now.I leave mine out and have not had any issues.Things seem to have stabilized,have plenty to do yet but am thinking about waiting for cooler weather,less humidity for the final fitting.Was going to throw this at the crowd to see what they think

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
Perhaps an annoyance, but not a problem. The fore end will be thinned down to about 1/16" by the time you are completed. People seem to think pre carves are a short cut, but in reality they are almost as labor intensive as a blank. Good luck on the build and keep us informed.

Billy52

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »
Who knows it could have been the humidity.  Its dry where I live(relative humidity usually less than 20%)….stock came from North Carolina…never been there but I am sure it is a bit more humid.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:07 AM »
My two cents is pretty much the same as the rest.   Just keep the barrel in the stock and finish the rifle.  By the time you finish, the forearm will be so thin that it will be exerting little force on the barrel, and it will have probably conformed to the barrel a little better.   Don't worry about it.

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 02:26:46 AM »
Who knows it could have been the humidity.  Its dry where I live(relative humidity usually less than 20%)….stock came from North Carolina…never been there but I am sure it is a bit more humid.

It's currently about 142.6% humidity here right now

Billy52

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 03:27:29 AM »
Sounds like you could drink the air!!

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 06:11:56 AM »
Wood is an amazing thing?  It can bend, break, be cut, repaired drilled nailed and has been a staple in human life since the beginning of time.  If nothing else, it can be burned! To heat your home of course, even if it is only slightly charred, it still retains strength.
I had the same thing on my first build, not an issue, it not a center-fire with floating barrel.  It's a REAL rifle! ;)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
The stock supports the barrel at the breech, with the tang bolt and the pin thru the first lug.

After that first lug, the barrel is the support for the forestock from there to the muzzlecap. The forestock is so thin, it will conform to the rigid barrel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 12:26:03 AM »
Bill Lad... where do you live in NC, never seen that kind of humidity in NC.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:28 AM »
If your stock is just warped it should not be a problem.  But if it is twisted along with warped you might have more of an issue.  In which case you need to contact the vendor.  Buy twisted I mean that when the barrel is seated it does not align with the channel back to the breach.

SuperCracker

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:21 AM »
I have fixed a twisted and warped precarve by clamping it in place on the barrel and then putting a couple of heat lamps on it for a day. 

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 04:13:10 AM »
Bill Lad... where do you live in NC, never seen that kind of humidity in NC.

Wilmington.  I was kidding of course - I believe 100% humidity is the max - but it was ridiculously hot and humid when I posted that.

I bet that stock warped as it dried by moving to a less humid environ.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:14:43 AM by Bill Ladd »

Billy52

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:06 AM »
As far as I can tell the stock is warped…..it may be a tad twisted….hard to tell.  It appears that it lines up square at the breech end ok.  I have the barrel clamped in there right now with 6 clamps total running from breech to muzzle.  I took the barrel out yesterday and things appear to be straightening out.  It is a very tight fit.  Thank you everybody for your input ….it is appreciated.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
I have no experience in this area but have often thought if one heated the barrel before trying to pull a warped stock back into place the forestock would pull back pretty easy and have more of a tendency to stay straight.

I have worked wonders on warped bow staves and arrow shafts that looked like a pile of snakes with heat so this is the first thought that comes to mind when I see a thread about warped stocks.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »
When the forestock is finished, it is very thin. With the barrel out of the stock, you can pinch the muzzle end of the stock between two fingers and twist it, left/right or move it all around.

That 'warp' is not important.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline kutter

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 04:02:31 AM »
It looks like the forend is curling around the bbl a bit. You can probably just pull it back into position and tape it as already mentioned and everything will be fine.

Personally,,I'd soak the forend in hot water first,,a tube or pipe with a closed end works good for this.
The warm wet wood will be easy to place back in it's rightful position with little force if any being so thin.
Plus will be more liable stay put in that position when dry.

It's the same idea gunsmiths use to bend the butt stocks on rifles and shotguns for their clients to change the drop, cast and cant, but they deal in measurements up to an inch or more sometimes and some very thick wood through the wrist area. They usually use hot linseed oil soak and heat lamps to get the same effect to the wood. Then clamps and braces to move the wood and let it cool.
Same result is wanted though,,move the wood permanently and not damage it.

You can coat the raw steel bbl with a thin coat of lacquer or even shellac to avoid rusting during the process. You many still get a touch of it but nothing that'll pit the surface.
Careful handling and securing the wood when it's wet as it'll bruise & dent easily. It'll retain it's original strength and form when dry.
Just a thought,,,