Author Topic: A Question About Lindsey Graver Sharpening Templates  (Read 3631 times)

Offline QuanLoi

A Question About Lindsey Graver Sharpening Templates
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »
Quite a while ago I purchased a set of templates with angles based on other opinions. Printed on the templates are "Detailing. 96 degrees. Point extend 1 1/4". Stone height 1/2". My intention was to use the templates to sharpen chisels for hand engraving... i.e. hammer chasing. Am I using the correct templates for this type of engraving? After spending a considerable amount of time trying to engrave, it seems to me that the angles may be incorrect. I've reached a point that I have to learn to do it in order to engrave the several flintlocks I built.

Thanks in advance...

Offline hortonstn

Re: A Question About Lindsey Graver Sharpening Templates
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:38:36 PM »
i use the universal 116 degree template, with my hand driver
and with my lindsey air graver it seems to cut cleanley now if i can learn to controll them and draw i will be happy
paul
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:39:59 PM by hortonstn »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:06:41 AM »
Yep - Universal 116 degree template, usually it comes in clear plastic.

For getting the height of 1/2" for the stones I have (didn't want to invest in Lindsey's) I just added 1/4 inch and thinner plastic sheets under the stones. Also, I mounted the resulting gravers in 1/4 inch dia. round aluminium handles, you'll want fairly thin handles on those, too thick and they interfere with your hand movement while tap tap tapping...

dave
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:07:08 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:00:43 AM »
The Lindsay templates are good once you have your gravers shaped up. If are starting from a blank it will take a while to shape the graver by hand. His universal template comes with two templates. One for shaping the graver point and another to put the face and heels on the graver. These templates are very good once you have shaped the graver.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:05:20 AM »
Another thing I forgot to mention is the Lindsay Templates are set up for 3/32" square graver blanks, they will not work with 1/8" graver blanks.
Jim Parker

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
I re-read your post and yes the detailing template should be OK for most work on a Kentucky. Lindsays templates are set up for an air assisted handpiece. You may want to grind a relief profile on your graver to help give you hand clearence for H&C work or use a small dia. Handle as mentioned.
Jim Parker

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 03:05:39 AM »
I exchanged emails with Steve Lindsey about using the templates with 1/8 inch gravers and here is his response: 

Hi Don, As ordered from the website they come setup for 3/32" square.  I have opened them up for 1/8" square on request for people though.  Extra charge is $20.  If you'd like this just order normal on the website and in the place provided for a note write that you'd like it setup for 1/8"
square gravers for the additional $20

Best Regards, Steve

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer