Author Topic: Flat horn in progress more pictures added  (Read 2953 times)

eseabee1

Flat horn in progress more pictures added
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:25:39 AM »
well spent last week and most of the weekend getting my shop rearranged and clean . I was able to get out in it today and start working on a nice size flat horn it is 8 1/2 inches long 3/4 inches wide, it is  going to have an applied tip just have not figured out if I want to do a pewter tip or antler or horn , it has a horn bottom. It will also get engraving on it like I said it a work in progress.

well it has taken some time but got it almost finished

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:25:29 AM by eseabee1 »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Flat horn in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:32:54 AM »
Good to see you back in the saddle again!

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:46:03 PM »
I wonder what magic you have planned on this one Ed?  Keep us informed as 'your work in progress' evolves.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline KC

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »
How did you flatten the horn? I was traveling home last weekend and came across what was billed as the "world's largest garage sale" that went from Michigan to Alabama on U.S. 127. We stopped at a few places and I came across a guy that had two steer horns for $5.00. They're very dark grey and not useful for any scrimshaw and both had a pretty flat profile with not much arc. I thought I might try to make a couple priming horns just to try it. After seeing your post, I wonder if a flat priming horn might be possible with one of these? It's not like I would be out much if I screwed it up. What you've done so far looks really good.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline RobertS

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=36304.0

Here's a link to a recent discussion regarding how to flatten a horn