Author Topic: Lock Bolts and screws  (Read 6305 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Lock Bolts and screws
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »
I know that this has been mentioned on here but I can not seem to find it by searching. What is the name of the supplier of machine screws and wood screws, I believe that they were out on the west coast. I am running low and need to restock.

Thanks in advance
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Lock Bolts and screws
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:40 AM »
Bama, I use blacksmithbolt.com

Curtis
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:56:20 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline davebozell

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:59:51 AM »
I just received my order from blacksmithbolt.com today.  Very nice looking hardware and very quick shipping from Oregon.  Already starting a list for my next order.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »
A great resource but the shipping cost is a killer.
Curt

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:09:40 PM »
Thanks everyone. I remembered that the company was out west but could not remember the name, I've come down with that dreaded CRS desease in my old age.
Jim Parker

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:10:41 AM »
^^^^^   ;D

I'm sure your memory will return when you see the shipping on a couple screws!

John
John Robbins

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »
I did not think the shipping was that bad. I bought nearly 500 bolts and screws and the shipping cost was a little over $11. I ordered on Tuesday and received them on Thursday, from OR to AL in 2 days, pretty good in my book.
Jim Parker

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
Well, if you're ordering 500, . . . . . . .

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 01:38:51 AM »
Hi Curt
I build 6 to 10 rifles a year not counting repair and restoration work. I use approx. 12 to 20 screws per rifle so i will use these screws up in about 2 to 3 years. It is much cheaper to buy in bulk than to buy on an individual rifle basis.
Jim Parker

Birddog6

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:11:23 AM »
That is where I get mine from.  I buy them in bulk.... hundreds in each of small ones &
2-3 dozen of each in the large ones.
For the price & shipping, you are getting them for 1/4th of what you pay any place else.
In fact, that is where allot of the venders buy them IF  they are buying quality.  Allot of the
venders are now buying & passing imported junk screws with the slots offset....   >:(

The ones I bought have the slots in the MIDDLE of the screw heads, like they should be !   ;D

Keith Lisle

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 03:54:30 AM »
A great resource but the shipping cost is a killer.
Curt

Try adding the Canadian exchange rate to the shipping.  Honestly, I've been doing this for so long, I don't even think about the cost.  It costs what it costs.   What are your better options?

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
 Except for wood screws I make all my own screws. Nothing I do is standard anymore.
 Somebody ought to do a article on making wood screws. Wood screws are hard to make. I also make all my own counter sinks because the heads are odd size.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
Except for wood screws I make all my own screws. Nothing I do is standard anymore.
 Somebody ought to do a article on making wood screws. Wood screws are hard to make. I also make all my own counter sinks because the heads are odd size.

I have taken high quality late English percussion rifles apart and found no wood crews as we think of them them.poorly made and tapered. The screws I saw were like machine screws and on several guns I have made I used that idea with great success. In harder woods,holes can be drilled and TAPPED like in steel and I used the coarse thread like 1/4x20 and 12x24 with ease.I wouldn't even think of trying to make the tapered wood screws.

Bob Roller

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
Touche' bama.  I only build two a year if I'm lucky.  I'm always ruining screws during my build and eventually replace them with untouched ones on the finished rifle.  I especially like blacksmithbolt for small screws that usually aren't available elsewhere.