Author Topic: Optivisor specification recommendations sought  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Keithbatt

Optivisor specification recommendations sought
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
I'm looking for advice for specs on an optivisor for general use while building rifles and doing basic carving.  Specifically what magnification would you recommend and what focal length.

My intuition says 3x mag or so and longer focal length like 10" or so.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Keith.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Optivisor specification recommendations sought
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:21:23 AM »
having used both, the optivisor and the Mega View, I really like the Mega View.

http://www.ottofrei.com/Megaview-Visor-Magnifier-With-3-Lens.html

The unit is pricier, but has really excellent optics, wide field of view, very natural to use.

The opti-visor is like viewing through a tunnel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:34:27 AM »
Ok. Thanks for that Acer.   OttoFrei is about 30 mins from my
Home so I'll stop by there. I buy my files there also. I'll check that out!

Keith

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
I use a couple of Optivisors with lens plates #3 & #4.     #3 is good for carving.   I use #4 for engraving and watch repair.   If you wear glasses for close work,  it is best that you wear them with the Optivisors, but it is not always necessary.  If you do, single vision lens will be better than progressives  It is sometimes difficult getting the object you want to see in focus with progressive reading glasses.   I have some single vision reading glasses that are almost good enough to engrave with them alone.   When you combine them with a #4 Optivisor, you have to get within a few inches of the object.   

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »
I ordered a #5 Optivisor and got a #7. The focal length is really close but I can see the smallest detail when I am inletting. On a side note; I can really find a splinter in my hand with the extra magnification.

I asked what the general consensus was on the desired power when I ordered mine and 5 was what most people used at the time.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
I use two different optivisors, but find I tend to use the #2 much more than the #4.  They both work fine,, but the focal length for the more powerful one is so short that I hardly have room for my fingers between my eyes and the work .  My #2 has plastic lenses where my #4 has glass.  I can't tell any difference in clarity.

My optician has glasses with a multiple lens system with a longer focal length.  They are too expensive for me.  If I were younger, they would be on my must have list.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
I found a new megaview on eBay for 30 bucks with three sets of lenses.  Thank you for the recommendation.

Keith

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:47 PM »
I use two different optivisors, but find I tend to use the #2 much more than the #4.  They both work fine,, but the focal length for the more powerful one is so short that I hardly have room for my fingers between my eyes and the work .  My #2 has plastic lenses where my #4 has glass.  I can't tell any difference in clarity.

My optician has glasses with a multiple lens system with a longer focal length.  They are too expensive for me.  If I were younger, they would be on my must have list.

My dentist has some magnifying glasses I wish I could have, complete with a super bright LED light.  The are made for the individual just like regular glasses.  The problem is that they cost $1500.  I can't afford those either.  I think they cost what they do because they are selling them to dentists and they know they can afford it.   ;)

DFHicks

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:21 PM »
The Optivisor also has LED lights now.  I had been using a lower cost unit with plastic lens but thought the lights would help with the aging eyes syndrome.  So I bought an Optivisor with the LED setup.  First of all the difference in the Optivisor glass lenses and the plastic lenses I had is very noticeable.  The lights do help and I think worth the price.  However I must agree the Optivisor does have a tunnel effect.
Greg

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »
I will report back. The megaview I bought it was equipped with LED lights also.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
The Optivisor also has LED lights now.  I had been using a lower cost unit with plastic lens but thought the lights would help with the aging eyes syndrome.  So I bought an Optivisor with the LED setup.  First of all the difference in the Optivisor glass lenses and the plastic lenses I had is very noticeable.  The lights do help and I think worth the price.  However I must agree the Optivisor does have a tunnel effect.
Greg

Does the LED put the light where you need it for engraving?

Offline bjmac

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
Mark- I found a real inexpensive magnifier  on E-Bay. It has 2 levels of magnification along with a high power loupe for each eye. And it has some pretty good LED lights that are movable (up\down).They will be good for engraving, I believe. The only problem that I have had with it is that the headband is loose and hard to get tight, and stay that way. I couldn't find any manufacturers name on it, (Chinese, no doubt) so you will have to do some searching. If you can't find it. I would be happy to send you the one I have. (I bought one for my wife and she doesn't use it!!!) 
Bruce

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 04:51:05 AM »
I received and played with the megaview.  I don't have an optivisor to compare side by side but I like the megaview a lot.  Thank you for the recommendation Acer.

It does seem to have a wide field of view, and the led lighting seem quite effective.  I'm looking forward at having some assistance with close up fine work.

Keith