Author Topic: What kind of tool  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Molly

What kind of tool
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
Picked this up yesterday.  Cannot say I have ever seen one like it.  Definitely hand forged.  Has a well worn antler handle, with a single pin to hold it in place.  "Blade" is about 7 inches long and not marked.  Edge is quite sharp and shows no real evidence of heavy bone cutting use.  A scraper of chopper I suppose of the makers original design and use.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:15:22 PM by Molly »

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
Re: What kind of tool
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
its definitely a chopper. and it seems smaller in size too.
the design shows somebody wanted to chop more with power and leverage than precision.
I looked in a book of early American tools and couldn't find it.
Hoping somebody knows!

Offline Hornbuilder

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
I'm thinking its some sort of fodder chopper ?

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
I can actually think of a variety of practical uses for it and that was much of its appeal.  It will cut like a knife, it could be used to scrape hides, or a hog and definitely to "chop" meats and veggies.  Makes me think of some of those oriental tools they sell in high end kitchen shops.  Maybe it was made by a Chinese frontiersman!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
Molly; 

Look on web-sites that might show tools used in the whaling industry. I suspect it is a knife used to cut up large pieces of blubber, so it could be added to the try vats, aboard a whaling ship.

Hungry Horse

HAWKEN

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »
It is a froe, used to split logs into shingles.  You stand the log on end , place the blade across the end of the log and strike it with a mallet or maul.  After the first split, continue splitting shingles 1/4 to 1/2" thick........robin

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
I'm not convinced its a froe. its not shaped like one and it doesn't look strong enough to be one.
I can't see it being a hide scraping tool.
My best guess is chopper of some sort, for something tall or needing a fair amount of clearance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:49:01 PM by SligoBill »

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:31:15 PM »
Blade is far to thin for any heavy use.  Photo does not show that however, but it has a thin cutting edge and the top is thin as well.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:41 AM »
Looks mighty like an old timey tobacco leaf chopper to me. When I was a kid I remember one similar to it hanging in grandpa's barn. He grew lots of tobacco back then.

dave

ADD: found one: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/66/51/60/6651602f2c1c6f21d78c7cf37874600e.jpg
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:02:56 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 04:34:13 AM »
PPatch:  Me thinks you nailed it!  Looks a lot alike and it came out of Virginia tobacco country (or at least it used to be).

Thanks, that's what I'm going to call it.

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 02:05:33 AM »
If I had provided a better photo with the detail on the thickness of the blade, you would see it is much to "thin" to be used as such.  The blade is thin like a good knife.  Tobacco chopper is a much better thought.

Offline BOB HILL

Re: What kind of tooli
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Not a froe, handle at the wrong angle to get the leverage needed to split shingles and blade to light. A chopper of some kind Tobacco, etc.       Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
The handle shape, and the light weight, of this tool do not make sense for a chopper. I suspect whatever it's use, the handle helps  the user either, cut something  that is soft, but quite thick, or, is at an uncommonly low height. It also could be for cutting something contained whitin a deep tray or pan.

Hungry Horse

ddoyle

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
Curd cutter for cheese making?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »
Well with a tobacco "chopper" you don't chop but rock it back and forth through the leaves.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I bet it was used to split exactly what it is currently resting on in that photo.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 12:07:24 AM »
I was thinking soap
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Molly

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 12:46:07 AM »
Like my chair?  The real deal, I might add.  As to the tool, I still like to think of a tobacco chopper similar to the one in the photo of PPatch's link.  But while it may have been made with one purpose in mind, it clearly serves or can serve a variety of functions.  Maybe we'll just call it an 18th century "Kitchen Magician".