Author Topic: Siler inlet  (Read 3807 times)

Offline bowkill

Siler inlet
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
I have a fowler precarve that has a siler inlet in the stock. Is there another lock that will fit that inlet. Does l&r make a siler lock that fits it. Going to do a few things to make it not look so German looking.
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Siler inlet
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
I would suspect that the Colonial VA, Early Ketland size locks will be larger than the Siler mortise. You would have to open up the Siler mortise to fit the larger lock but those locks are pretty much the standard for a fowler.

You can go to one of the online supply houses such as Track Of the Wolf and see the dimensions of those locks to make sure they are large enough to cover the Siler mortise. The TOW catalog has full size photos of these locks.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bowkill

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:30:58 PM »
Thanks Dennis knew there had to be something else I could use. Will dig out on old track catalog.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
You are going to run across a stumbling block when trying to fit a larger lock to a Siler inlet. Very carefully measure the distance from the tumbler pivot to the sear arm. The Chambers English locks are considerably larger that the Siler. You could perhaps try the Chambers' gunmaker's lock but that would require quite a bit of work reshaping the pan and cock. The L&R Queen Anne lock is smaller and could possibly be made to work.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »
Thinking I could get a colonial American from Davis and it would be close. What do you guys think about a chamber's siler and just round off the pan to not be so German looking.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:26:54 AM by bowkill »

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:52:08 AM »
Call tip Curtis I think L&R makes one he showed it to me at friendship yesterday
He won't be home until next week

greybeard

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:27:11 AM »
I am kind of thinking that it may be easier to use a Chambers lock??
Bob

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 03:46:59 AM »
FYI.  Here is a Dale Johnson Siler lock that I rounded the pan and frizzen arm to change the look a little.   I should have rounded the back some, but since I hadn't built a rifle for about 20yrs., I wanted the challenge/practice of inletting it.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:49:53 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:53:59 AM »
Here is a small Siler I turned into a round face lock. The cock has a little metal added to it and the frizzin is from chambers small round face lock. I made a new frizzin spring to match the changes. I'm sure you can do the same to a large Siler with a little imagination.