Author Topic: Trade guns ?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Trade guns ?
« on: October 04, 2015, 03:34:02 AM »
 Since I never was into trade guns I need to know if there were left handed trade guns during the period.  Who knows?
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Trade guns ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:09:56 AM »
Pretty much no.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:13:59 AM »
 There is the remnence of a left handed French fusil fin in one of the trade gun books. So they did exist in limited numbers.

Hungry Horse

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
The left handed fusil fin is in Hamilton's Colonial Frontier Guns. Just being a fusil fin means some expense went into making the gun. A cheaper gun or model, less likely to be made differently or left handed. But like everything 18th centruy, I'll never say never.

Offline Levy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:31:23 PM »
I got to do the conservation work on the left-handed gun depicted in T. M. Hamilton's book.  It was definitely too nice to be a regular trade gun, though it was in Indian hands.  I worked on two different batches of  artifacts that were recovered in Louisiana that included many firearms.  One of the groups of artifacts came from the Angola Prison Farm.

James Levy
James Levy