Author Topic: Forearm Width  (Read 2906 times)

Okefinokee Outlaw

Forearm Width
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »
In general, is the width of the forearm between the ramrod entry and lock plate panel a bit wider than the width of the forearm between the muzzle and ramrod entry?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Forearm Width
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:53:34 AM »
I would say the simple answer is 'yes'.  Everything of course, depends entirely on the ear and area where the original being emulated, comes from.  But the forearm should taper along with the taper of the barrel, starting out wider right at the lock and tapering to the transition at the entry pipe.  This allows for a nice egg shaped lower forearm near the lock, and avoids that awful slab sided effect you sometimes encounter on contemporary work.  The upper forearm on some schools is much wider on some schools such as Lehigh Valley rifles where the upper forearm is decidedly "V" shaped, and the thickness at the barrel channel can be 1/8" or more.  On other schools, there is almost no wood along the upper forearm - 1/16" to 3/32" being acceptable.  But from the lock to the entry pipe needs to be heavier in width, to answer your question.  All that from someone with very little knowledge to draw upon.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:04 AM »
I generally concur with Taylor.   VA rifles are a bit of an exception.  Most VA rifles (from the Haymaker shop to Augusta/Rockbridge to S.W. VA) are about 3/32" thick lock to muzzle, but I usually add a tiny bit of taper in the upper forearm.   Some habits are hard to break. ;)   

I should note that the very famous early VA Augusta/Rockbridge rifle in JHAT II has  forearm sidewalls that are a mere 1/16" thick yet they look like they have more meat on them than that.   The maker of that rifle was truly a master, and this is yet another reason to be in awe of that rifle.   
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:19:09 AM by Mark Elliott »

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:15:37 AM »
Thank you.  This is my first build from a blank, and my inspiration are the rifles on pages 514 and 518 in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America Volume 2.  I'm having to do a lot of guessing.  

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »
Find a copy of "The Gunsmith of Grenville County". He goes into extensive detail about shaping the stock from a blank.

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
I have the book.  I just want to be sure the gun I'm building will at least remotely resemble an English influenced rifle built in the southern colonies.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »
In general, is the width of the forearm between the ramrod entry and lock plate panel a bit wider than the width of the forearm between the muzzle and ramrod entry?
Not if using a straight barrel, only a swamped one.

ps  Everything forward of the entry thimble is the forestock, not the forearm.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson