Author Topic: 46" swamped rifle barrel (where can I find one?)  (Read 5230 times)

wbradbury

46" swamped rifle barrel (where can I find one?)
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:55 AM »
I have looked extensively online but can't locate anyone selling them. I know there are plenty of 44's and may have to settle with one of those.  Don't have any particular reason, I just want a long one.  Will

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: 46" swamped rifle barrel (where can I find one?)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:28:53 AM »
Ed Rayl will make you one.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline marcusb

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:24 AM »
Stonewallcreek has a wide selection, he may have one it stock

wbradbury

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 03:40:09 AM »
How can I get up with Mr. Rayl?  I could not find him online. Thanks for the info by the way!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:42:18 AM »
Dangnabbit, I thought Rice made a 46", but my memory is gone. Check their website.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 03:46:36 AM »
http://www.ricebarrels.com/

They make a 46" Golden Age.

I just bought a 46" Allentown profile from Rice this Dixon's past July.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »
Ed Rayl POB 91, 18 Otter ln.  Gassaway, WV.26624  (304)364-8269....be prepared to WAIT for it......He's made bbl. to 72"    Tom

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »
The last 4 Bucks County builds had Rice .50 cal. "B" weight X 46" bbls.  Nice light weight LRs were the final products....Fred

wbradbury

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:04:55 AM »
Thank you all.  I just saw what a 46" barrel is going for and decided to just go with a 44" from TOTW.  I don't see paying $100 more for 2".  Will

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »
I see that you've made your decision, but thought this thread needed mention that nearly ALL bbl makers have the capacity to make 46" bbls.

But yes, anything that isn't part of a production run will cost more.  Setups are time and money.  Running 100 of something spreads that cost out.  Running one...doesn't.

I got mine (30x46xA) from Charles Burton and have inquired with Jason about his capacities to run longer...Ed hasn't made me a bbl yet, but that's a goal.  And I have no plans of going shorter than 46 again.

Some folks can't handle the time factor, others the $.  But pretty much ANY bbl configuration you want is available with enough of those two factors.   Plan ahead if you're going to make a bunch of guns (stock up on bbls ahead of builds).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:00:18 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »
anything that isn't part of a production run will cost more
Normally Wade would be correct with this statement but with Charles Burton and Ed Rayl, unless they have recently changed, ALL their barrels are custom made. The 46" will cost more but I believe it has to do with extra material and labor as opposed to the shorter barrels.

I think Rice sets up for a particular profile and runs a larger quantity of barrels therefore he will wait for an order of several like lengths profile etc before making them.

Dennis
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:41:53 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

wbradbury

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:09 PM »
Thanks, fellas. I went ahead with the 44" since I want to go ahead and get this one going. I'm going to try to keep this one simple since it will be my first longrifle. Wish me luck!

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 04:16:28 AM »
If you call Ed leave a message. If he's got machines running he might not hear the phone.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:24 AM »
Started using a 42" bbl, then went to a 44" and now really like a 46".bbl. Only make 2 styles....Lancaster w/ 44" and Bucks County w/ 46". The BC below has a Rice  .50 "B" weight X 46" and it's cost was around $325. That's not much more than the Rice 44" bbls I use w/ the Lancasters.  Most blanks will take a 46" bbl so there's some economy there.....Fred

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 05:29:38 AM »
anything that isn't part of a production run will cost more
Normally Wade would be correct with this statement but with Charles Burton and Ed Rayl, unless they have recently changed, ALL their barrels are custom made. The 46" will cost more but I believe it has to do with extra material and labor as opposed to the shorter barrels.

I think Rice sets up for a particular profile and runs a larger quantity of barrels therefore he will wait for an order of several like lengths profile etc before making them.

Dennis

I much prefer small companies/one-man shows too.  $ isn't my top priority when selecting a bbl.
Hold to the Wind