Author Topic: Early Winchester, VA Rifle...  (Read 13806 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Early Winchester, VA Rifle...
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »
 Another Beauty Ed, the overall finish is very well done.
A question is that Johann Adam Haymaker or his son Adam? Just fill'n in the blanks.

Thanks, Tim C.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:31:50 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Percy

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »
I just can't stop looking at the pictures, that's a beautiful rifle!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:08 PM »
Thanks again, all....

Tim, in all honesty it's a little combination of the two.  The general architecture of the stock leans more towards the elder, with the bigger, wider butt piece.  The carving behind the cheek was taken from a piece made by Adam, the tang carving was something I came up with, and really isn't reflective of either.  Hope that helps.....

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »
I like everything about this rifle, except maybe that it's not mine and I can't shoot it. I appreciate the purists who endeavor to be as correct as possible when making a this or that, but show that rifle to any of the less informed and to a man I bet all would say "that's beautiful". Even MY mother would hang that one above the fire place. You created something wonderful and should be proud. Keep making them.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 12:51:42 AM »
Weee doggie, Ed that is just one beautimus  creation. Not all them whirly gigs inlaid everywhere , which I really don't have a taste for but some do which is alright by me.  The architechture does all the talking. (bad spelling). Like I said before. beautimus!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 01:51:43 AM »
Ed,

As usual... Great looking gun. Fit and finish are perfect. A short time ago, a good friend, went with a nice rifle of yours instead of another of mine.  It's easy to see why!
Well done.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:53 AM »
Gee Ed....for me?  You shouldn't have.    ;)  Now I will have to buy larger caliber accessories.  I will even drive up and pick it up to save you the shipping.  Heh, heh.

Seriously, what a beauty.  I love the proportions.  I cannot believe that no one noted that the tang carving is mirrored in the engraving on the top of the buttplate.  Nice touch. 

I agree with the others about your bells and whistles comment.  It sure has enough for my taste. 

The patch box lid has a complementary shape to the rifle as well.  I may not know as much about VA rifles as NC rifles, but I know beauty when I see it. 

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 06:34:37 AM »
I'm late to the party but.... Another fine gun from the Wenger shop!  Very appealing, great job on the carving and engraving!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »
Ed,

I can only echo the others who have commented but you have made a superlative rifle.  It is outstanding for many reasons, not the least of which is in its understated elegance.  It is the "slightly aged, used, but very well cared for" look to the rifle that accentuates the fine architecture and all of its other fine attributes.  Thanks for the great photos.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »
Yea Ed, everyone has pretty much said it but your artistry and "feel" for the mystery of these guns sure comes through. I think the Haymakers would stand in awe and pride if they could see how well you have built on their work.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
Great work Ed!  I'll be putting those pictures in my cache! 

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:09 PM »
Thanks, gents!  Greatly appreciated.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Bluelight

• Starting Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 12:32:14 AM »
Well boys I'm so happy you all like MY rifle. Have wanted one by Ol' Ed's for a while and he made this one just for me. You know it's so "purtty" I hate to take it in the woods.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 03:59:07 AM »
Don't be talking like that! That gun was made to go in the woods...... maybe not up a tree though  ;D
I'll say it again, you are one fortunate cowboy! Very nice riffle gunne.

Willbarq

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 05:49:29 AM »
Super looking. Did you design the stock or use a pattern?

wbradbury

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
That is one of the best looking rifles I've seen on here and I've been looking a lot in the last few weeks trying to get ideas for my first build. How was the front of the trigger guard secured In the stock...it does not look like there is a pin. I see the pin in the rear of the trigger guard, I was just curious. Will

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
Ed, like everyone else I really appreciate what you've don with this.  It is a work of art.  For the hardware, did you make the trigger guard and butt plate yourself or did you purchase them?  I like this style.
Curt 

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 01:37:52 AM »
There you go Larry, stirring up the pot, lol.......

Willbarq, the stock was done from a pattern.

Wbradbury, the front of the trigger guard is pinned.  The pin goes through the lock mortise and is covered by the side plate, so you can't see it.

Curt, the trigger guard & butt piece were purchased from Dave Keck at Knob Mountain Muzzleloading.  He has a web site by the same name and they can be found there.

Hope that helps, and thanks again!

Ed
Ed Wenger