Author Topic: Diamond Curve Gouge Sharpening Tool?  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Diamond Curve Gouge Sharpening Tool?
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »
Does anyone here own one of these?  Do you like it?  Does it work well?  Would like some input before I buy.  Thanks.

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Diamond Curve Gouge Sharpening Tool?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »
I had one of the old moulded aluminum oxide ones and didn't use it.   There was only ever one place the curve was right and I figured I might as well use a flat stone and rotate the gouge.  I just use flat continuous diamond stones these days as well as a 2x72" knife makers belt sander for heavy reshaping.  You can actually do quite fine work with the belt sander.  I use silicon carbine belts for metal.   

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:15:07 PM »
 I can't see much advantage in that but I have a tapered rat tail diamond hone that works well for the inside of gouges.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 04:39:43 AM »
.... There was only ever one place the curve was right .......

Thanks Mark.  Looking at the picture of the tool, I wondered about that.  Looks like the "sweep" constantly changes from one end to the other.

Jerry, thanks for the tip,  Sounds like what I need.

-Ron
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:41:56 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:32:37 PM »
Looks like the "sweep" constantly changes from one end to the other.
I don't have the diamond ones, but I do have the water stones in medium and fine.  It use them all the time and keep them stored in a coffee can full of water.  You don't use them back and forth, you use them side to side wherever the gouge you are sharpening fits.  So contrary to popular opinion, I luv mine.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
Looks like the "sweep" constantly changes from one end to the other.
I don't have the diamond ones, but I do have the water stones in medium and fine.  It use them all the time and keep them stored in a coffee can full of water.  You don't use them back and forth, you use them side to side wherever the gouge you are sharpening fits.  So contrary to popular opinion, I luv mine.

I was wondering if I was using it right.  ;)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the imput TOF. It comes at the right time as I just got a Wade garret catalog in the mail today and they list them in there. I had been thinking of getting one but put it off and then when out of sight out of mind so I never got one ordered. Where did you get the ones you use?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
I have a piece of hardwood charged with diamond compound for the insides of my gouges. Different curvatures and grit choices are easily accommodated with this method.

The edges of the blocks have a positive curve for stropping the insides of the gouges, and there are grooves cut on the sides of the blocks for stropping the outsides of the gouges. The wood strop can be cut with the gouge.

Here is my box of strops.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:29:41 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
Where did you get the ones you use?
I don't remember for sure, but I know I bought the medium one from Brownells as they only listed one grit at the time.  Later, I think I found the fine one at Woodcraft (maybe).
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:53:07 AM »
The higher quality diamond products have most uniform grit size, and the diamonds stay in place longer.

The  cheapo tools have the occasional boulder mixed in with the fine grit, scarring your chisel edge. The grit is not attached that well sometimes, so one can lose a lot of the diamonds at an early age.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I went ahead and ordered one from Peachtree.  600 grit on one side and 1200 on the other.  We'll see how it works out.

-Ron
Ron Winfield