Author Topic: Very specific patchbox question  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Very specific patchbox question
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »
I am agonizing over this. The rifle I am copying is the unsigned Catawba rifle by Micheal Briggs in our library. I have contacted him but he no longer owns or has access to this gun. There is no picture of the inside of the patchbox. I have been studying mechanisms for side opening PBs. But this one seems different. The release button is in the top of the butt plate.
It would be simple enough to reverse a toe plate mechanism to work in the heel extension, but there is a problem of the screw.  It would seem to me that a better place for the catch would be in the top (middle) of the lid instead of the side/end near the butt plate.
In this situation, it would be fairly simple to drill a hole straight down from the location of the release button into the cavity of the patchbox, engaging the release catch, and acting as a spring for the pushrod. I'm sorry I can't post a drawing of this.
The only drawback I see with this is the mechanism would be exposed to the inside and contents of the box. In other words, something could get hung on the release or maybe a lead ball could knock into it and spill the box.
One picture of the original shows the release button pretty clearly. It seems to point forward not straight down.
Another NC gun in the library by Jackson Craft shows the inside of the patchbox. It shows the mechanism is isolated from the cavity. It also shows the release spring screwed to the bottom of the cavity. I suspect the "inlay" on the catawba gun opposite the PB is actually a captive nut holding the release spring.
So if anybody would like to help me figure this out I'd sure appreciate the input.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Very specific patchbox question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:27:17 PM »
If you don't have the cavity for the box cut out yet, could you cut it a little shorter in length and have the push rod come down on the butt side of the partition that would be in between the cavity and latch push rod, which would keep your pushrod out of the cavity.

thimble rig

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »
Did you happen to look at some of the Bucks county rifles with side opening patch boxes.You might get some ideas from those

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 12:49:12 AM »
If you do to Duelists 1954 on youe tube Mike is building a bucks couty rifle with a side opening patchbox he has videos on it .You could get some ideas from that.