Author Topic: new barrel  (Read 4036 times)

Rob

new barrel
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:10:55 AM »
Hi , i am making a barrel for my new gun and have settled on a .45 cal 1 turn in 56  7 grooves with the grooves about twice the width of the grooves and 10 thou deep  this is for prb only how does that  sound

Offline L. Akers

Re: new barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 04:59:18 AM »
ought to work.  For years I have been cutting my barrels with a twist of 1 turn in 150 calibers.  They shoot very accurately.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
Do you mean the twist should be one and one half times caliber?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »
Let see your guys rifling bench set up!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
ought to work.  For years I have been cutting my barrels with a twist of 1 turn in 150 calibers.  They shoot very accurately.

As I understand his suggested formula, multiply 150 times the caliber and you get the number of inches for one complete twist. So, for 50 caliber and 32 caliber:

.50 x 150 = 75 --  That makes for one turn in 75 inches.
.32 x 150 = 48 --  One turn in 48 inches.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
Oh, that makes my brain hurt..... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
Kermit, you got it! 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
1in56, .45 cal., Wide grooves, with narrow lands, This is the ultimate combination for a .45 cal. Target rifle.

Hungry Horse

Rob

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 12:01:43 AM »
I hoped that I would  get a with those specs  barrel that would give me  one which was not fussy about its loads and gave me good velocities without to much powder about half way between 1 in 60 and 1 in 48 am I in the ballpark with this   Rob

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 12:45:50 AM »
40 years ago when I had unlimited energy and was up to a challenge  I built a rifleing bench and went to it. I had two, ,42 cal blanks and my guide was a turn in 57 and 7 grove and the groves ended up at .009. One of the bbls. is still in the family. Two of them was enough for me. Now at least I can say have  been there, and done  that. Your numbers sound good to me.

Rob

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 11:46:16 PM »
Let see your guys rifling bench set up!

my setup is currently being remodeled ,and the shop is a mess right now but it is all home built ..
 my design uses a  sine bar to generate the twist rate and I have several plates that  attach to the head end that carries the barrel to get the groove /land spacing ..
 part of the update is to use a screwed rod and reversible motor  to drive the carrage carrying the cutter  backwards and forwards ..
sorry about the no pics but that could happen one day but just not now .. Rob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 11:58:33 PM »
It's all relative I think. Depends on time period and area. The surviving early guns seem to have pretty much all had them but you do see them with out from time to time. The later in time you go the more elaborate they get and also at the same time you start seeing them less on "economy" models.
 My own personal feeling? Put one on if you want and don't if you don't want to. But, if you don't put one on you should probably scale back the other carving and engraving as well.  I never use them much, but they are a great place for decoration.
It's possible the "economy" models in all time periods that didn't have patch boxes got used up, there may have been more non PB guns than we imagine. Or maybe not..... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?